Teacher Support for ESL Students
Support our Students!
Through encouragement, teachers can help ESL students achieve more
- Encourage parents to use the native language at home, speaking and reading it.
- Allow students to work in groups that share the same native language.
- Encourage students to use their native language, if they are unable to express themselves or to explain what they mean.
- Keep books and other reading materials in students' native languages.
- Ask students learning English to teach the others how to speak their native language.
- Create multilingual word charts of commonly used words such as pencil, crayon, book, please, and thank you.
- Encourage and allow students to use their native language in the classroom and playground.
- Promote the learning of second languages among staff members by providing language classes for them in the school.
Bode, Patty., Nieto, Sonia. (2012). Affirming Diversity: The Sociopolitical Context of Multicultural Education, Sixth Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.