by Emma Russell and Aisan Hashemi
Events in History
There were many events that influenced fashion in the 1970's. Music, politics, movies and television, etc, all had influences on 1970's fashion. The ending of the 1970's was the disco era. One event was the Vietnam War, and another was the hippies. (flower children)
Styles of the 1970's
Bell Bottoms were meant to give the legs a bell shape below the knee.
Platform Shoees also known as disco boots, triangle heels, or simply platform shoes, were used to raise the feet from the ground.
Big hair was the hairstyle in the 1970's.
- Elvis Presley had a big influence on fashion in the 1970's. In 1971, he won a prestigious Coty Fashion award for it's influence with denim, and denim styles became more popular.
- Donna Summer, a singer who got into trouble for a raunchy video and stage act.
Shoulder pads were invented in the 1970's, mainly for womens fashion.
"Facts of the 1970s." - Fun Decade. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
Hayden, Nancy. "What Influenced Fashion in the 70s?" EHow. Demand Media, 15 June 2011. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
"How 1970s Fashion Trends Stand Out in History." Sammy Davis Vintage RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Mar. 2014.
N.p., n.d. Web.
"Raquel Welch, 1970s." Poster By Everett. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
Fun Facts about the 1970's
- At the beginning of the decade, gas was 36 cents per gallon.
- A quart of milk cost 33 cents and a loaf of bread cost about 24 cents
- A movie ticket cost an average of $1.50