Longfellow News: June 14 - June 18
Family & Community Engagement END OF YEAR Edition 20-21
This Week's Events:
- Starting June 14th - NON-RETURNING and NON-REGISTERED students in 6th, 7th & 8th grades must return all school property, including electronic devices, to the main office this week!
- June 14th - 17th - 8th grade Device Exchange (pick up you new high school device!)
- June 14th - SAISD Digital Playground, Summer Edition (See flyer below)
- June 16th - Registration Assistance Night 4:30-6:30 p.m., Main Office Foyer
- June 17th - Last Day of School / ULTIMO DIA ESCOLAR
- June 17th - 8th Grade Promotion Drive-Thru Celebration and Awards (see flyer below)
- June 26th - School Immunization Drive at Davis MS school based clinic
- July 19th - Jump Start Summer Camp Begins! Call (210) 438-6520 for information-- ********Register before June 17th********* Link is below
PARENT/GUARDIAN "TO DO" LIST:
- Register your student for 2021-2022 School Year!
Click on the link for "how to" instructions: https://bit.ly/3hwOifz
Assistance at school every Wednesday and Thursday evening until 6:30 p.m.
- ATTENTION 6th GRADE PARENTS: Your student can not begin 7th grade next school year if they do not have their TDAP and Meningitis Varicella x2 immunizations. Call Nurse Pratt at (210) 438-6520 ext. 75014.
- Read the COVID-19 Vaccine Parent Letter: https://bit.ly/34NSss3
- ¡Registra a tu estudiante para el año Escolar 2021-2022!
Haga clic en el enlace para instrucciones de "cómo registrar": https://bit.ly/3fhDT4E
Asistencia en la escuela cada miércoles y jueves por la noche hasta las 6:30 p.m.
- ATENCIÓN PADRES DE 6to GRADO: Su estudiante no puede comenzar 7to grado el próximo año escolar si no tienen sus vacunas TDAP y Meningitis Varicela x2. Llame a la enfermera Sra. Pratt al (210) 438-6520 ext. 75014.
- Longfellow está aceptando donaciones de uniformes escolares limpios, nuevos o usados suavemente.
- Lee la carta para padres sobre las vacunas para el COVID-19 (Haga clic en el enlace y desplácese hacia abajo para ver la letra en español): https://bit.ly/34NSss3
Congratulations, Academic UIL Team!
Longfellow's Academic UIL Team was awarded 2nd place in the middle school division. Thank you to our UIL Coordinator, Ms. Hauptman and teacher coaches: Mrs. Wedum, Mrs. Fernandez, Ms. Spears, Mrs. Barrera, Mrs. Ratnayeke, Mr. Miranda, Ms. Dunavin and Ms. L. Gonzalez, and CONGRATULATIONS to our Longfellow Spartan Scholars who participated in UIL and made us proud!
Below are our participants:
Zuniga, Destiny- Mathematics
Villalpando, Angelina - Modern Oratory
Segura-Martinez, Julian - Oral Reading English 7th (tested up!)
Martinez-Camacho, Mia Juliet - Oral Reading Spanish 7th & Spelling Spanish 7th (tested up!)
Torres, Bryan - Spelling 6th
Gallego, Ana - Spelling Spanish 6th
Arriaga-Saucedo, Aimee' - Oral Reading English 6th
Gamez Cazares, Gumaro - Oral Reading Spanish 6th
Campos, Ryanna - Number Sense 7th
Calvario, Julian - Science 8th (tested up!)
Castillo, Camille - Mathematics - 7th
Cuellar Marin, John
A Message from the School Nurse
Regular childhood immunizations have taken a backseat thanks to the coronavirus pandemic. Experts say, now is the time to get your child caught up on those life-saving shots needed to prevent outbreaks of preventable diseases. These shots are not expensive, and SAISD and the University Healthcare System, is here to help!
Dr. Robert Sanders, pediatrician and Medical Director of Pedi Express within University Health adds, "University Health is planning on having a number of vaccine drives in the community associated both with school districts and in a number of local community groups."
Right now, two of immunization drives are scheduled:
· Davis school based clinic at 4702 East Houston Street, June 26, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
· Harlandale school based clinic at 834 West Southcross, July 17, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Dr. Sanders said, "All of our pediatric pediatricians offices, both in the health system and in the community, have taken a lot of precautions to make sure that the offices are safe for you and your children while they're there." For more information on how to sign up for these, and other immunization clinics, click here. There will be a drop down menu displaying upcoming sites. In addition, anyone can call (210) 358-7020 for assistance in registering for an appointment that is closest to them, and depending on their needs. That number is handled Monday through Friday between 8 and 5 p.m.
Please get your child immunized by calling one of SAISD's school based clinics below:
- Davis school based clinic at 4702 East Houston Street, 78220 (210) 644-2005
- Tafolla school based clinic at 1303 W. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd., 78207 (210) 644-2000
The following immunizations required to enter the 7th grade:
- TDAP (Tetanus-Diptheria-Pertussis)
- Meningococcal Conjugate(Meningitis)
- Varicella (x2)
Students will not be able to start 7th grade without these immunizations!Please contact Nurse Pratt for any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (210) 438-6520 and dial extension 75014, or to provide a copy of your child's shot record.
International Baccalaureate Program
Greetings Longfellow Community!!! June is here and we have had an amazing year of learning about ourselves by way of our IB Learner Profile Attributes. This month we are taking our scholars down memory lane and reminding them of what each learner profile attribute meant and how we can practice exemplifying them more and more each day to become better citizens. Attached you will find our official IB posters that you may consider using to continue the conversation during the summer. You may also want to use a resource like the one listed below and have your child identify what it looks like and sounds like when living out particular attribute characteristics.
We look forward to continuing our work with your child next year and in the years to come, as we carry on our mission to help students become responsible members of local, national, and global communities.
Congratulations Verizon Teachers of the Month!
Congratulations Mr. Gonzales, Ms. Vela, Mr. Rochon, Mr. Encino, Ms. Dunavin, Mr. Pilger, and Mr. Luna. They are the VILS teachers for the month of May. They are being recognized for the wonderful work they have done in their classrooms and as part of the teacher tech team. Combined they led 7 trainings and contributed 6 tech Tuesday tips.
Verizon Innovative Learning Schools - Coach
Longfellow Middle School
See you at Spartan Summer Jump Start!
Don't wait to register and learn more about SAISD's Summer Jump Start Program to be held at Longfellow MS from July 19, 2021 - July 30, 2021. It's 10 full days of Fun and Interesting Educational Activities! What a great opportunity for your student to avoid summer boredom! PLEASE NOTE: 8th grade Spartan students will attend Jump Start at their new high school campus, NOT here at Longfellow.
POWER UP YOUR CHILD'S LEARNING AND CLICK ON THE APPROPRIATE LINK BELOW:
Sign Up for the Longfellow TEAM App
Resources for Parents
- SAISD Website: https://www.saisd.net
- Frontline Information (English): https://bit.ly/3me66eT
- Frontline Information (Spanish): https://bit.ly/3m7r9zH
- Canvas Information (Pg.2 for Spanish): https://bit.ly/3m10HHF
- Longfellow: https://schools.saisd.net/page/050.homepage
- Longfellow School-Parent Compact: https://bit.ly/3o8DKUK
- Longfellow Parent & Family Engagement Policy: https://bit.ly/34ai82l
- Family Power Hour (Parent Sessions): www.saisd.net/parentworkshops
Call (210) 554-2205 for more information.
- Direct your student to Tutor.com for academic support. Students in grades K-12 can access this free service through the SAISD Classlink portal.
Don't see something you need? Contact Longfellow's Family and Community Engagement Specialist, Mrs. Larralde, at Klarralde@saisd.net or by calling (210) 438-6520 ext. 75012