3L Weekly News
Week Ending December 23, 2015
This week in...
We wrapped up The Harvest Birds by completing a graphic organizer, Digging Deep, and completing an assessment.
We read a realistic fiction story titled Kamishibai Man written by Allen Say.
The story took place in Japan and was about a Kamishibai who told stories to children.
The book also discussed the effects the invention of television had on the Kamishibai’s job. During this story, we discussed the effects new inventions can have on peoples' lives.
We spent time reading a Japanese Folktale titled The Peach Boy this is one of the stories that the main character, Jiichan, read in the selection above. Students practiced visualizing the story and then illustrated what they visualized.
We will continue working with this story this coming week.
- We reviewed multiplication facts and the importance of fact power.
- We reviewed fact short cuts to help us remember the facts quicker.
- Students learned how to use the Multiplication/Division Chart to help find products to a multiplication problem.
- We played Multiplication Baseball. Information about this game can be found on the Everyday Math Website.
- Lastly, we completed stations wrapped up Unit 4 with an assessment.
- We will begin with Unit 3 tomorrow. This unit covers measurement.
We celebrated our Narrative Writing with Mrs. Hampel's 2nd grade class.
We began our Informational Writing Unit and chose topics to write about. We created a table of contents and began to brainstorm what information would be placed in each chapter.
Over break the 3rd grade team and I spent time reflecting on each student's writing and have decided to revisit Informational Writing after the Persuasive Writing Unit which we will begin on Monday. We felt that the students needed more time researching their topics which will be done in school and at home. More information on researching at home will be coming in the next few weeks. Students will be encouraged to use Read to Self time in school to read their informational texts. Students may also continue to research at home either on websites (parent approved) or by reading.
- The next Word Study Assessment will be on Friday, December 15th (Day 6).
- We hope you enjoyed our Student Led Conference presentations. I'm very proud of each student and how hard he/she worked to present! :-)
- We reviewed how to punctuate dialogue and identified the past, present, and future tense of verbs.
- We learned the letter p.
Absences/Late: Always include firstname.lastname@example.org on all emails regarding absence, early dismissal or late arrival. This email is checked frequently throughout the day.
Vocabulary: Vocabulary for each story in Journeys can be found on my eBoard under the Language Arts tab. The red tabs are sectioned by lesson (example: L1 is Lesson 1 etc.). Vocabulary can also be found in the Journeys textbook or online textbook (before the reading selection).
Strings Make Up Work: Please keep in mind that your child will be missing instructional time when he or she attends strings. Any work that he or she miss will be expected to be made up.
Birthdays: If your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday, please contact me so we can set up a date to celebrate! See my eBoard for more details.
Student Logins: If students forget their Journeys Textbook click this link for the website. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed on the website. The login information is also in the front of your child's planner book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
Check This Out!
1.Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- The link can be found on my eBoard under the PARCC/Teach tab.
3. Cause and Effect
4. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts. Your child's login is in the front of his/her planner. Students should have a good idea of how to log into this program.
Student Council Activities
Thank you for all of your donations to the Student Council Toy Drive!
Room Mom Information
Central Events: January and February
Wednesday, January 6
- 3:10pm Central School PAC Meeting
Thursday, January 7
- 6:00pm Central School Skating Party
Friday, January 8
- 8:00am Central School Spirit Day
- 8:25am 5th Grade Choral Rehearsal
Tuesday, January 12
- 7:30am Elementary Band Rehearsal
- 8:35am Elementary Orchestra Rehearsal
- 6:30pm Elementary Winter Concert
Wednesday, January 13
- 9:15am Central School PTA Meeting
Thursday, January 14
- 7:00pm Kindergarten Information Night
Friday, January 15
- 8:25am 4th Grade Choral Rehearsal
Monday, January 18
- Martin Luther King Day
- 8:00am School Closed
Tuesday, January 19
- 7:30am Beginner Band Rehearsal
- 8:35am Beginner Strings Rehearsal (3rd Grade)
- 7:30pm Beginner Winds (4th)/Strings (3rd)/Grade 4 Chorus
Thursday, January 21
- Kindergarten Registration
Wednesday, January 27
- Kindergarten and Preschool Report Cards Available Online
Friday, January 29
- 6:30pm Spaghetti/Bingo Night
Central Events: February
Friday, February 5
- 8:00am Spirit Day
Monday, February 8
- 9:00am Book Fair
- 3:30pm Interim Report Cards Available Online Grades 1-5
Tuesday, February 9
- Book Fair
Wednesday, February 10
- Book Fair
Thursday, February 11
- Book Fair
Friday, February 12
- 3:00pm Book Fair
- 2:00pm Valentine's Day Parties
Monday, February 15
- Presidents' Day
- 8:00am School Closed
Thursday, February 25
- 3:30pm 5th Grade Talent Show
- 7:30pm 5th Grade Talent Show
Monday, February 29
- 8:30am Read Across America
Specials This Week
- Health and Gym
Tuesday is a Day 4:
- Strings and Spanish
Wednesday is a Day 5:
Thursday is a Day 6:
Friday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Gym
Guest Read Aloud Schedule
- Jennifer Cittadini Wednesday, October 14 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Beth Wassall Wednesday, October 21 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Nicole Ventrella Tuesday, October 27 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Emmie Goldenbaum-Cook Thursday, November 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Mia Levine or Eric Huebl: Friday, November 20 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Barker Monday, November 23 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Stefanie Kist: Wednesday, December 2 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dana Mower: Monday, December 7 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jeff Tucker Tuesday, January 5 @ 2:40
- Susan Gordon: Tuesday, January 12 @ 2:40
- Jennifer Grega : Friday, January 22 @ 2:40
- Robin Landis: Friday, February 5 @ 2:40
- Dori Shields: Monday, February 22 @2:40
- Barbara Cavacini: Thursday, February 25 @ 2:40
- Heather Tucker: Friday, March 4 @ 2:40
- Debbie Wolschina: Friday, March 11 @ 2:40
- Shannon Simkus: Tuesday, March 29 @ 2:40
- Sara Blackburn: Tuesday, April 5 @ 2:40
- Sharon Dominco: Wednesday, April 13 @ 2:40
- Mary Beth Smith: Tuesday,May 10 @ 2:40
- Carol Cox: Friday, June 10 @ 2:40
Star of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Natalie Sept. 28-Oct.2 (completed)
2. Diego October 5-9 (completed)
3. Katie October 12-16 (completed)
4. Isaiah October 26-30 (completed)
5. Blair November 9-13 (completed)
6. Caden November 16-20 (completed)
7. Nathan November 30-Dec. 4 (completed)
8. Eliza January 4-8
9. Caroline January 11-15
10. Bryson January 25-29
11. Vienna February 1-5
12. Luca February 8-12
13. Dayne February 22-26
14. Libby February 29-Mar.4
15. Derrick March 7-11
16. Lindsey March 14-18
17. Diana March 29- April 1
18. Molly April 4-8
19. Liam April 11-15
20. Elena April 25-29
21. William May 2-6
22. Joey May 16-20
23. Christopher June 6-10
Poet of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Libby Friday, October 2 (completed)
2. Liam Friday, October 9 (completed)
3. Diana Friday, October 16 (completed)
4. Vienna Friday, October 30 (completed)
5. Lindsey Friday, November 13 (completed)
6. Derrick Friday, November 20
7. Molly Friday, December 4 (completed)
8. Elena Friday, December 11 (completed)
9. Natalie Friday, January 8
10. Joey Friday, January 15
11. William Friday, January 29
12. Isaiah Friday, February 12
13. Katie Friday, February 19
14. Christopher Friday, February 26
15. Blair Friday, March 4
16. Diego Friday, March 18
17. Caden Friday, April 1
18. Nathan Friday, April 15
19. Eliza Friday, May 6
20. Caroline Friday, May 13
21. Bryson Friday, May 27
22. Luca Friday, June 3
23. Dayne Friday, June 10