Good evening all. As we complete our first full week of remote learning, we want to say thank you. It has been a very successful week for both teachers and students and we are appreciative of the support we have received knowing that starting a school year under this format is new territory for us all.
For those who are returning to campus on September 8, we ask that your read through the information below to help make September 8 and beyond as safe and successful for all.
As a reminder we expect that your student will continue to follow their bell schedule and meet with their teachers on their designated Teams meetings throughout the day. This is the best way for them to receive instruction and feedback to guide their learning. If for any reason they are not able to meet with the teacher at the designated time, lessons are posted on Canvas with instructions. Attendance is taken daily.
First Day of In-Person Learning
7:45AM – 8:20AM: Students are allowed to enter into building. Students will go to their 7th period class
8:20AM – 1:00PM: Students will remain in their 7th period class to cover school procedures and build relationships. Remote students are encouraged to join their 7th period class through their normal Teams meeting. Each grade level will eat lunch in the cafeteria during their designated lunch time for the day. Times below are only for September 8:
- 10:40 – 11:10 6th Grade Lunch
- 11:30 – 12:00 7th Grade Lunch
- 12:30 – 1:00 8th Grade Lunch
1:00PM – 3:30PM: All students will go through their entire bell schedule to meet their teacher face-to-face and acclimate themselves to following their schedule.
Arrival and Pick up:
- The Wayside Traffic pattern will be in place daily from 7:45 A.M.- 8:15 A.M. and 2:30 P.M. to 3:45 P.M.
- To ensure sanitation of the campus and to mitigate congestion, no parents or family members may walk students to class.
- Students dropped off in car lanes, biking or walking can arrive between 7:45AM – 8:15AM. Car drop off will be in the front of the school only. Students will enter through the cafeteria doors.
- Bus drop off will be behind the school. Busses will drop off students between 7:45AM - 8:15AM
- Only Buses will use the back of the building to pick up and drop off students. Please do not use the back drive or the athletic loop if your child is a car rider.
- All students will wear a face mask when arriving and dismissing.
- Upon arrival students will be greeted by an employee to make sure they are wearing a mask and sanitizing their hears upon entry into the building.
- Car Riders will pick up in the front of the building using the flow map from below.
- All car riders exit out the front doors, so please pull all the way to the end to pick up your student.
- Both left and right lanes are for cars stopping for drop off. The middle lane should be used for flowing through.
- We ask that all cars flow through the traffic pattern and please exit out onto Bailey Boswell. Using the other exit impedes the flow of traffic during drop off and pick up.
Passing periods, Breakfast and Lunch
- Breakfast eaters will pick up a sack breakfast. Seats will be available in the cafeteria. After students complete breakfast they will go to their first assigned period.
- Students will be instructed to walk on the right side of the hallway during passing periods. Students will not be allowed to congregate or loiter between passing periods.
- Students will be allowed to use the restroom when needed.
- For lunch students will be escorted to the cafeteria and will be assigned a seat. Students will be required to wear a face mask unless they are eating or drinking.
- According to district guidance, regarding no cash transactions in the lunch line and to speed the check out process, students are encouraged to bring IDs from prior year (if within EMSISD) or use campus provided lunch card until new IDs are made in October.
- Please check to make sure money is deposited into your student’s lunch account before the first day of instruction or have them bring a sack lunch from home.
Participation in Athletics and Fine Arts
- Through guidance from the WMS Athletic Coordinators, students who remain as remote learners in 7th and 8th grade but are participating in a sport, will be allowed to come to campus before or after school to practice.
- Students participating in Fine Arts who are remaining remote, with guidance from their corresponding Fine Arts director, can also attend rehearsals and practices only before or after school as instructed by their director.
Student can access district wide tutoring from 5PM – 8PM on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights for their four core subjects if they are needing extra support. District will communicate to all parents how students can access the tutorials.
To make sure you have this feature click here for the how to information.
Click here for information on how to make sure your computer has the most recent updates
Interested in creating a Parent Canvas Account? See information below
Video below walks students through some Canvas and teams features
John Fahey, Principal
Kayla Livingston, Assistant Principal (A-L)
Andrea Lasher, Assistant Principal (M-Z)