Team Thomson News & Notes
Week of: January 12, 2020 #ThomsonRocks
Important Information for You!
Jon Gordon - 20 Tips for a Positive New Year
Last week, Jen Burke, Hill Principal, shared Jon Gordon's 20 Tips for a Positive New Year. It is a really easy read with simple tips. I hope you will take a minute to read through them...positive changes start with positive steps!
We are still in need of a kindergarten classroom teacher representative for the district Health Committee. Please remember that the only way for your voice to be heard is to participate.
DIBELS & NWEA Testing Schedules
As you know the mid-year testing for DIBELS and NWEA begin this week. Megan C. has already sent out the schedule for NWEA and the direction/reminder for setting up your assessment sessions. We will be going NWEA assessments in the library as in the past and DIBELS will be completed at parapro work stations.
End of the First Semester
Friday, January 17th marks the last day of the first semester. Monday, January 20th is MLK Day and Records Day for teachers. Teachers are free to work from home. Report Cards and Comments (comments are expected) are due by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, January 21st. I included a link regarding report card comments below. Also be mindful and specific (with sensitivity) when commenting about those who have been to child study, have an IRIP, and/or are struggling behaviorally. Report Cards will go home with students on Thursday! Let me know if you have any questions.
As we move closer to the end of the first semester, please get with Anna to schedule your mid-year meeting. For classroom teachers, please do not schedule these meetings until after your NWEA testing is completed. For all staff, I look forward to sitting down with you to review your Growth Plan and Actions Steps, all your mid-year student data (both Standardized and classroom), and to discuss your plan for the remainder of the year.
Intersession 2.0 is quickly approaching. A second set of fliers will be sent home this week. Please include a blurb in your newsletters that registration for intersession 2.0 ends January 22nd! Late registrations will not be accepted. The theme for elementary is Arts, Activities, and Adventures. Students will explore Art with a painting party by Pink Pallet Restoration. Drama with Flint Repertory Theatre, bowling at Rollaway Lanes. Our For-Mar friends will also be on site with fun team building activities!
Staff Meeting Follow-up
I wanted to take a moment to follow-up to our staff meeting last week, I hope you all enjoyed the activity as much as the laughter and smiles lead me to believe. I have loved seeing the paintings hanging outside classrooms and how some of you modified the activity for students. The goal of this activity was to illustrate the how learning targets and success criteria, while related, are not the same. A learning target is the goal of the lesson. The success criteria is everything a student needs to have included in order to reach the goal as designed for the lesson. As you move forward in planning amazing lessons, it is important to clearly delineate between the learning target and the success criteria.
Quotes Worth Reading
If you are not willing to learn,
No one can help you.
If you are determined to learn,
No one can stop you.
Do ONE Thing and Make a Big Difference!
Remember 'Do ONE Thing to Make a Big Difference is for EVERYONE working at Thomson. I hope you will all take the time to participate.
Challenge One: Pick a student...let's be honest here...pick the one that drives you CRAZY. Write their name down somewhere you look everyday. On your desk, in your calendar, mirror, you pick! Take a picture of the name so it is on your camera roll...you will need it on week 12!
Celebrations & Announcements
Birthdays This Week: Mickie Ybarra, January12; Stephanie Harmon, January 14th; Peggy Lappen, January 14th...Happy, Happy Birthday to you all!
Congratulation to Jenni Galbreath! Jenni's name was drawn from the December nominations for Kids First Employee of the Month. Jenni will be honored at the Board of Education Meeting Monday night.
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Week of January 13th-PLC WEEK
- Monday, January 13th-Natalie at the GISD for Poverty Training, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.; Table of Honor; PTO Meeting (new date), 6:00 p.m.; Board of Education Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 14th-District Improvement Meeting, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 15th-MTSS-SAT (Child Study)
- Thursday, January 16th-Elementary Principals Meeting (Natalie)
- Friday, January 17th-End of 2nd Marking Period; GISD Elementary Principals Meeting (Natalie); Trading Post; PTO Pals
- Monday, January 20th-No School-MLK Day and Records Day-Records/Report Cards Can be completed at home.
- Tuesday, January 21st-Grade Due at 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 22nd-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Field Trip, Curriculum); Report Cards will be Printed
- Thursday, January 23rd-Send Report Cards Home; ALICE Drill; DK/K Curriculum Meeting, 4:15-6:15 p.m. for All DK and K classroom teachers
- Friday, January 24th-Leadership Meeting, 7:15 a.m.
- Week of January 27th-PLC Week
- Monday, January 27th-PTO Meeting, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 28th-Data Day for 4 Person Teams
- Wednesday, January 29th-Data Day for 3 Person Teams
- Thursday, January 30th-Elementary Principals Mtg. (Natalie), CMC 4-7 p.m.
- Friday, January 31st-Trading Post