Week 25 Recap
Thanks to all of you who attended or are attending tonight's staff performance of Disney's Aladdin Jr. staff show. Our amazing staff put this show on as a fundraiser for our student drama club who will perform later this Spring. Thank you all for continuing to make this SV tradition better each year!
Student Council is hosting Spirit Week next week with the following themes:
Monday (2/13) - Pajama Day
Tuesday (2/14) - Valentines Day(Pink and Red)
Wednesday (2/15) - Student Teacher Swap Day
Thursday (2/16) - Sports Day
Friday (2/17) - Extra Purple and Green Day
School Counselor Week
Happy #NationalSchoolCounselingWeek to the one & only Mrs. Hoffpauir! We are so grateful to have her apart of our family!
6th graders in Mr. Fasula’s SS class have been learning about Ancient Greece. Monday they participated in their own “Greek Olympics”
Check out this amazing cast & crew of Aladdin Jr!
School Counselor Week
Positive Office Referral Winners
This week's positive office referral winners are: Dean, Jack, Isabella, Andy, Cayden, Ryder, Mia, Layne, Jaxon, Jocelyn, Chevelle, and Andrew. Thank you all for leading with kindness and setting a great example!
Last Chance for Aladdin Jr. Tonight!
It is that time to get lost in the magic! The final staff production of Aladdin Jr. is tonight at 6:30pm. Get ready to make your wishes come true as you experience a night of entertainment. Tickets are available for$10.00 at the door.
Thank you to everyone that attended the PTSO Meeting this past Tuesday! We love having support from teachers and parents at these meetings.
Restaurant Day- The Paleta Bar
Join us this Saturday at The Paleta Bar from Noon-8pm and mention Sierra Verde. We will earn 20% of the total sales that day! As a reminder- these funds help fulfill teacher grants, SIPS coffee truck days for our teachers and so much more! We hope to see you there!
Arizona Attorney General Anti-Bullying Presentations
Anti-Bullying Presentation for Parents March 8, 2023 (Virtual)
All our parents are welcome to attend a Sierra Verde webinar on anti-bullying. See the details below. Later this March, we will be hosting an anti-bullying presentation for our middle school students on campus.
Office of the Arizona Attorney General - Community Outreach & Education
March 8, 2023
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 894 1851 0181
Anti-Bullying Addresses the different types of bullying, how it’s affecting our youth, and preventative measures parents can take. We explain why teaching kindness and being empathetic is important and the relationship it has with bullying. We also give tips to parents on how to help their child become resilient to criticism.
Anti-Bullying Presentation for Students, Monday, March 20, 2023
This presentation will address the different types of bullying, how it’s affecting our youth, and preventative measures students can take. We empower and encourage students to change the culture of bullying and create a kindness culture instead. We also inform students about the legal consequences for bullying and how it can affect their future. This presentation will be given to 6-8th grade students on March 20.
Middle School Sports Update
Track and Field will start Wednesday, Feb. 15 at Mountain Ridge High School. That will be the only practice for next week. The following week (Feb. 21st -without Monday) will start Monday - Thursday. Information will be sent out through Register My Athlete to all our 5th-8th graders who have registered.
DVUSD Job Fair
DVUSD Community Education Summer Camp
APEX Fun Run is Coming to Sierra Verde February 27
The 2023 APEX-SV PTSO MAIN EVENT! Coming Soon! February 28th through March 10th.
This year, the PTSO and APEX are joining forces to bring the best fundraising EXPERIENCE to Sierra Verde to date! When we say EXPERIENCE…we mean FUN! This year we are launching 2 separate activities designed to create the most fun for each grade level.
Grades K-6 will have the APEX Obstacle Course! The Obstacle Course is where students experience all shapes and sizes of inflatable fun, ups and downs, twists and turns along the path. It’s active and engaging for all age groups.
Grades 7 & 8 will have the APEX COLOR GAMES! Apex knows how to have a party! Our MC will take students through a fun, upbeat mix of games and competitions. Students will all receive color battle jerseys and take part in several team competitions as they prepare for the grand finale- an all out color battle party!
We can’t wait to tell you all about it! Stay tuned VIPERS!
Help our Health Office
The Health Office could use your help. We need assistance in restocking our clothing cabinet. We are in need of donations of NEW underwear for boys and girls- sizes extra small, small, & medium. If you are doing any spring cleaning, we can take any gently used, athletic-type shorts, shirts, and leggings for girls and boys in all sizes. This will help us get students back to class faster after an accident. Thank you for supporting our students!
- Nurse Jessie and Nurse Lynn
Mindfulness Monday Challenge of the Week
Being kind, even when others are not…
- When you make a mistake, it’s okay, it happens to everyone. We mess up and sometimes hurt feelings. It is okay to apologize; it helps us to learn to be a better friend.
- Sometimes friends hurt our feelings, it is normal to be upset by it. Practice being forgiving, it will help you not to hold on to the hurt feelings.
- It is often in our nature to offer our opinions about things, but before you blurt out that your BFF’s Apple Green Buzz cut looks ridiculous, ask yourself, is it: TRUE, KIND, NECESSARY, and HELPFUL? If the answer is no, maybe what we say should be left unsaid.
- Challenge yourself to say hi to a new person that you would not ordinarily say hello to or talk with
- If you see someone sitting alone at recess or lunch, go sit down next to them
- Conversation starters--trade information about your likes and dislikes
- Invite another to play in a game
Being a good active listener
- Don’t listen to think up a response. Listen to seek understanding
- Don’t be an interviewer and only ask questions. Offer information and share about yourself too.
- Don’t be a conversation hog. Answer the questions at hand and give your partner a chance to talk.
- Practice not interrupting, by turn taking. The next time you are in a big a group of friends use a talking stick and pass the stick so that only one person is talking at a time.
Last Call for Viper Spirit Gear
Join Team SV (Paraprofessional, Crossing Guard, Cook, and Viper Den)
Community Education is also hiring before and after care workers for our Viper Den program. This is a 6 hour per day position before and after school. If you are interested in this position please contact Dina Sands 623-376-3903 or stop by our office for more information.
Last Call for Yearbooks
- 2/13-2/17 Parent Teacher Conference Week
- 2/16 & 2/17 Half Day schedules 12:05 Release
- We cannot sign out kids 15 minutes before dismissal (3:15 is the cutoff).
- Reminder we cannot do deliveries to classrooms or call classrooms except for glasses or chromebooks. Phone messages only delivered to students at 2:30. If there is a pick up change, please call our office before 2:30.
- For those who are interested in volunteering in classrooms and/or attending field trips, you will need to attend a one time district volunteer training (class locations and times can be found at www.dvusd.org). If you have already taken the training you must come in to the front office to update your information, this must be done every year.
Have a Great Weekend!
Sierra Verde STEAM Academy
Nationally Accredited STEM Certification
"A" Rated School by Arizona Dept. of Education
Proud Home of the Vipers
Deer Valley Unified School District