The Weekly Buzz
A Weekly Newsletter from Corner Middle School
VOLUME 4, NUMBER 17: September 4, 2022
Jefferson County Schools Closed in Observance of Labor Day on Monday, September 5, 2022
e-Learning Day for Students on Tuesday, September 6, 2022
Progress Reports and More to Go Home on Friday, September 9th
First, we will distribute them through the email that the student's parent or guardian provided in the registration portal at the opening of the year. We will also provide a printed copy to the students during advisory time on Friday.
The progress reports will be in a folder with the student's name label on it. In addition to the progress report, there will be a copy of the student's beginning-of-year fall diagnostic results in math and reading. We will also send home the student report for your child for the Alabama Comprehensive Assessment Program (ACAP) test from the spring of 2022. When you get these, you are encouraged to hold on to these reports to help you evaluate your student's progress throughout the school year.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you do not receive these reports on Friday and we will assist you in getting this important information!
Fultondale Game Cancelled on Tuesday, September 7
Our football staff and athletic director worked throughout the afternoon on Friday to find an opponent with whom we might reschedule so that we could get in our game and conduct other activities planned for the evening. Based on the short turnaround for Tuesday and other teams having scheduled games that evening, we we unable to secure a replacement team.
The teams will play on Monday, September 12, 2022, against Bankhead/Cordova in our annual Homecoming game. Thank you for your support of your students and Corner Middle School!
CMS Student Council Elected for 2022-2023 School Year
Thank you to all of the students who created posters, campaigned, and ran for office!!!
CMS Calendar for the Week of September 5, 2022 - September 11, 2022
Monday, September 5, 2022
- Labor Day - School Offices Closed
Tuesday, September 6, 2022
- eLearning Day for Jefcoed Schools
- Athletic Coaches Meeting 7:45 in Library Media Center
- Elevate Training for ELA and Ex. Ed. Teachers in Media Room/5th Grade Building
- Math NIC Meeting in J. Rouse's Classroom
- Science, Social Studies, CTE, PE, Fine Arts NIC Meeting in Library Media Center
- PBIS Meeting at 2:00 in Library
- Budget Committee Meeting at 2:30 in Library
- Gardendale at CHS Cross Country
- Fultondale/Cordova at CHS Volleyball
Wednesday, September 7, 2022
- Homecoming Day #1 - Red, White, and Blue Day
- First Priority in Library 7:30
- Severe Weather Drill 10:00
- Spirit Shirt Orders Due
- Review Club Rosters in Advisory
- CMS Cheerleading Practice 3:00
- CMS Cross Country Team at North Jefferson MS Meet 3:00
- eDesign Staff Webinar at CMS 3:00
- CMS Volleyball at Hueytown 4:30
Thursday, September 8, 2022
- Homecoming Day #2 - Wild West Day
- CMS Cheerleading Practice 3:00
- CMS Cross Country Practice 3:00
- CHS Volleyball at Cordova 4:30
- CMS Volleyball at Rudd 5:00
Friday, September 9, 2022
- Homecoming Day #3 - Class Color Day
- Mid-Term Progress Reports Go Home
- Attendance Celebration in the Courtyard 2:00
- iReady Beginning-of-Year Diagnostic Window Closes
- CHS Football at Cordova
Saturday, September 10, 2022
- CHS Volleyball at Leeds High School Tournament
- San Jose State at Auburn
- Alabama v. Texas
- UAB at Liberty
- Samford at Georgia
- Huntingdon College at Birmingham-Southern
- Jacksonville State at Murray State
- Alabama A&M at Troy
- UVA Wise at UNA
- Enjoy Your Day Doing Something for Yourself, with Family and Friends, at Home . . . or Do Nothing at All!
Sunday, September 11, 2022
- Enjoy Your Day Worshiping, Relaxing, and/or Having Fun with Family and Friends!
Looking Ahead to Important School Dates
In order to assist you with your planning, please make note of the following dates. Remember, however, dates for all events/activities are subject to change due to inclement weather, COVID-19 restrictions, or other events which may force cancellation or re-scheduling.
Monday, September 5, 2022 School Offices Closed – Labor Day
September 5 – September 9 Substitute Teacher Appreciation Week
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 eLearning Day at CMS
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 Athletic Department Meeting
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 PBIS Leadership Team Meeting
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 5th – 8th Grade PST
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 Elevate Training for ELA and Ex. Ed. Teachers
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 Fultondale at CMS Football 5:00
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 Fultondale at JV Football 7:00
Wednesday, September 7, 2022 Homecoming Activities Day #1
Wednesday, September 7, 2022 CMS Volleyball at Hueytown
Thursday, September 8, 2022 Homecoming Activities Day #2
Friday, September 9, 2022 Homecoming Activities Day #3
Friday, September 9, 2022 9/11 Remembrance Activities
Friday, September 9, 2022 iReady BOY Diagnostic Window Closes
Friday, September 9, 2022 CHS Football at Cordova 7:00
Saturday, September 10, 2022 San Jose State at Auburn
Saturday, September 10, 2022 Alabama at Texas
Saturday, September 10, 2022 UAB at Liberty
Saturday, September 10, 2022 Samford at Georgia
Saturday, September 10, 2022 Huntingdon College at Birmingham-Southern
Saturday, September 10, 2022 Jacksonville State at Murray State
Saturday, September 10, 2022 Alabama A&M at Troy
Saturday, September 10, 2022 UVA Wise at UNA
Sunday, September 11, 2022 National Grandparents Day
Corner Middle School
Corner Middle School is committed to empowering our students as they build a foundation for college, career, and community success in a nurturing environment.
Our vision at Corner Middle School is to ensure our students are academically, emotionally, and socially prepared for challenges they may encounter in the next phases of their lives.
Corner Middle School believes we will accomplish our Mission and Vision in serving our community of learners by:
- Loving, encouraging, and inspiring our students and each other in our daily interactions.
- Utilizing highly-effective instruction and a challenging curriculum.
- Meeting the needs of diverse learners in order to prepare them for college and entry into a career pathway.
- Partnering with the community.
- Cultivating student leaders.
- Integrating technology into all areas of learning.