January 29, 2016
Hi K-2 Team,
Did you know there are only three weeks of instruction until STEP Round 3 testing begins? This means it is critical that you are implementing your Guided Reading groups daily, using the Jan Richardson lesson plans to guide your work, and also carefully taking notes and crafting teaching points to address student gap areas. If you need more support in that area than you currently have, please reach out to one of us and we'll work to secure additional supports! Check out this newsletter for some tips and suggestions for continuing to improve your instruction.
Have a great weekend!
Avis, Tiffany, and Krysten
First Grade RLA Unit 6
Heggerty and Wilson Phonics Pacing
Week of February 1st: Week 21
Week of February 8th: Week 22
Guided Reading Tip of the Week
C&I Team Walk-thru Notes
-Significant evidence of a print-rich environment in most classrooms
- Majority of classrooms had anchor charts/objectives/evidence in the classroom that the curriculum is in use and teachers are on pace with curriculum
- Guided Reading was in action in several classrooms we observed and all teachers observed were using Jan Richardson lesson plans
RLA Areas for Growth:
- Inconsistent implementation of Word Walls (we haven't done PD on this, but it was a noticing)
- Some teachers are adding "uh" to the ends of sounds when doing Heggerty- remember, t says /t/ not /tuh/
- Anchor charts are visible, relevant, accessible, and connected to the current curriculum
- Evidence of clear steps for students to take towards mastery of objectives in either instruction or on anchor charts
- All 2nd grade classrooms were actively engaged with the ENY curriculum and on pace with unit plan
Math Areas of Growth:
- K-1 teachers are not consistently on pace- check your unit plan to ensure you are on pace!
- Ensure students have ample opportunities to individually practice the objective in order to ensure mastery