News from the Nest
August 30, 2019
The Week Ahead
- NO SCHOOL - Labor Day Holiday
Tuesday 9/3 (Day 4)
- Deadline to Sign Up for the Back to School Bash (please include cash or check made out to Vernfield HSA or pay online - details below!)
Wednesday 9/4 (Day 1)
Thursday 9/5 (Day 2)
Friday 9/6 (Day 3)
- Book Fair Begins during regularly scheduled Library classes
- Back to School Bash Spirit Day! Wear the following colors so that you can easily find students from your grade at the Bash:
- Kindergarten: Kindergarten T-Shirt
- 1st Grade: Red
- 2nd Grade: Blue
- 3rd Grade: Orange
- 4th Grade: Gold/Yellow
- 5th Grade: Green
- Scouts Assembly, 2:45 pm.
- Back to School Bash, 5:30-7:30 pm. VF Playground (Rain Date 9/13)
- Spirit Wear Sale Begins
- Athletic Shoe Drive Begins
BACK TO SCHOOL BASH!
Vernfield's Annual Back to School Bash will be held next Friday, September 6th from 5:30-7:30PM (rain date September 13th) on the blacktop behind the school. Flyers were sent home this past Tuesday. The cost of this event is $10/family or $15/family at the door. Please send in the bottom portion of your flyer along with your payment of $10/family to school with your child by Tuesday, September 3rd.
If you would like to pay online, please use this link, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/vernfields-back-to-school-bash-tickets-67284566951 . (Please note that there is a non-refundable $2.24 service fee if you pay online).
Help is needed! If you are able to volunteer to help at the Bash, please sign up using this link, https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e4aacab2da1ff2-back! Thank you in advance to all of our volunteers for making this event possible!
If you have any questions, please email Meg Dick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Book Fair - Help Needed
Mrs. Lightstone is looking for parent volunteers who have their clearances to assist at our upcoming Fall book fair, Sept. 6th - Sept. 12th.
As a volunteer, you will assist children with finding books, managing their budgets, or operating the register. Partial shifts are welcome. Please consider signing up for a few time slots to support this exciting event!
The photos below show when classes are scheduled for the book fair, in case you'd like to volunteer to help your child's class.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Lightstone, email@example.com. Thank you!
Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a4faaae22a1ff2-fall2
Athletic Shoe Drive
New or used sneakers in wearable condition will earn more for us but we will be accepting sneakers and cleats in any condition. Sneakers with rips, holes, separated soles will be recycled.
Kick Off will be at our Back to School Bash. For each pair of sneakers or athletic cleats you donate, receive 1 ticket for our prize drawing. Multiple prizes will be awarded including: Rebecca Minkoff backpack, Lego set, mini pocket drone and more!
The raffle will be drawn at the Back to School Bash but shoe donations will be accepted until the Thanksgiving break.
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Hovind at firstname.lastname@example.org
In Case You Missed It...
HANDS ACROSS THE DISTRICT - VOLUNTEERING: Each year, Home & School provides a sign up that lists all of the known volunteer opportunities that will come up throughout the school year. Whatever you sign up for here just puts you on the email list for more information! ***IMPORTANT: Homeroom parent/holiday social volunteers are included (and will be ONLY) on this form***. Deadline to complete is 9/16. Questions to Suzanne Kolesar: email@example.com.
Online Volunteer Form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y7B9KRF
VOLUNTEER CLEARANCES: ALL VOLUNTEERS need to fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement EACH YEAR. There are two categories of volunteers:
- Casual Volunteers (less than 10 hours per school year and works in the presence of a teacher/administrator with students).
- Program Volunteers (10 or more hours and may have unsupervised contact with students). This includes field trip chaperones.
Details regarding what forms must be filled out can be found on the SASD Volunteer website. NOTE: PPD skin test for tuberculosis can be done privately or through the school nurse by making an appointment on 10/14, 10/15, or 10/16. Please note, Program Volunteers are required to renew these clearances every 60 months. If you would like to check your clearance status or have any questions, please contact the Vernfield main office, 215-721-0606.
IMPORTANT ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL TIMES:
- Arrival: between 8:20-8:45 am (adult supervision not available before 8:20)
- Late arrival (after tardy bell at 8:45 am): students must be escorted into main office.
- Dismissal: 3:20 pm
- Parent pick-up: A note/request (with person's name picking up) must be provided BEFORE 2:30 pm day of pick up. MUST park in the parking lot (not along the sidewalk) and show Driver's License.
- Absence: Call 215.721.0606 and choose prompt #2 to report child's absence by 9:00 am. Excuse note must be provided within 3 days of absence.
ONLINE VERNFIELD CALENDAR: Stay up-to-date throughout the year by subscribing to the shared Vernfield 2019-2020 Calendar (maintained by HSA volunteers). If the link does not open your calendar app automatically, look up how to add a 'subscribed calendar' (iCal format) for your calendar app. Questions to Kelly Cole firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRINTABLE AT-A-GLANCE CALENDAR: A handy calendar has been created to keep on your refrigerator with all of the important days off and events for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. Click on the file below to download and print!
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Giant A+ Rewards: earn money for VF while shopping at Giant! Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and Sign In or Register for an account (upper right corner). Click on My Account (upper right) and then Manage Your Account. Click on Rewards & Savings. Under A+ School Rewards, click Change School(s). The ID for Vernfield is 23581.
- Amazon Smile: earn money for VF while shopping on Amazon! Go to smile.amazon.com/about for instructions.
- Box Tops for Education: clip the 'Box Tops for Education' from participating boxes and labels! Send them to school with your child to be collected and counted. There is a contest among grades each year and the winning grade earns a prize! Go to www.boxtopsforeducation.com/earn for a complete list of participating products as well as information on the Box Tops Bonus app and Sweepstakes which can earn Vernfield even more!
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- ShopRite for My School: earn Box Tops for VF while shopping at ShopRite! Register your PricePlus club card at: https://www.shopriteformyschool.com/en/Register-my-Card.
- Coca Cola Give: Sign up at https://us.coca-cola.com/give/schools/ then just scan your product or enter your product code and watch the funds grow
Thanks to the families who participated in these programs during the 2018-2019 school year! We earned:
- Giant A+ Rewards: $1410
- Amazon Smile: $209
- Box Tops: $1172
Save the Date!
**Week of 9/9**
- Book Fair - 9/6 - 9/12
- ESL Orientation, 6-6:30 pm
- Back to School Night
- Session 1: 6:30-7:10 pm
- Session 2: 7:20-8:00 pm
**Week of 9/16**
- Home & School Welcome Back Social for Parents, 6:30-7:00 pm. Library.
- Home & School Meeting, 7-8 pm. Library
- DEADLINE to fill out Hands Across the District form (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y7B9KRF)
- Fall Picture Day
- Fall Spirit Wear Sale Deadline
SPANISH CLUB - will begin on Monday, October 7! Instructional Cost for the entire 24 week program (includes a snack and a drink that will be provided for each child every class):
- BEGINNER-(30 minute class) $200 /child or $180/child (for the 2 nd or more sibling)
- ADVANCED-(45 minute class) $225/child or $205/child ( for the 2 nd or more sibling)
2019 FALL SACE EVENING CLASSES - Registration is open for the Fall semester. More than 100 classes, trips and activities for all ages. Join us and bring a friend to try something new this Fall!
BROCHURE | REGISTER