- Both Anne and Katarína go into hiding with their families. Anne has her mom, dad, and sister and Katarína has her aunt and uncle.
- Anne and Katarína move from one country to another. In the new country, they both have to go into hiding from the Nazis.
- While hiding in the attic, Anne writes in her diary to share her fears and comfort her. Katarína talks to her stuffed monkey and tells it her fears. Both of these objects are used to comfort the girls.
- In the attic, Anne is optimistic and doesn’t complain often about being in the attic. Katarína complains about being in the barn. She is always asking when they will be able to leave.
- Anne is captured while hiding in the attic by the Nazis and gets sent to a work camp, but Katarína isn't found and returns home.
- Anne and her mother don't have a very good relationship. She is always disobeying her mother and talking back. She likes her father the most. On the other hand, Katarína has a wonderful relationship with her aunt, but she annoys her uncle.