Ninth Grade Science Program
Using physical, earth, and space science content, this course develops critical thinking, explores applications to the local and global community, and interprets phenomena through mathematical modeling. Topics of this course include atomic theory, cosmic processes, chemical and physical properties, forces and energy, and geological systems. Additionally, physical science emphasizes the development of appropriate laboratory skills. Physical Science provides a framework to access all the science curriculum at the high school.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Identify substances by studying their chemical and physical properties. SWE# 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2. Given a chemical system, predict behavior based on atomic structure, atomic theory and the properties of atoms, forces, molecules, and matter during physical and chemical interactions. SWE # 1,2,3,4,5
3. Given an objective, design and conduct an experiment that involves significant digits, analyzes data both qualitatively and quantitatively, analyzes changes in the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them and represents analytical data both algebraically and graphically. SWE #1,2,5
4. Refute or defend the idea of the law of conservation of energy during change. Account for inefficiencies during change. SWE # 1,2,4,5,
5. Analyze and support with evidence, the causes and effects of cosmic and geological processes. SWE #1,2,4,5
What course should I take next?