By: Kristophe Zephyrin Mitcham P2
Look for similarities and differences between crayfish and grasshoppers.
Background info (Crayfish)
- genus/species Orconectes virilis
- Crayfish usualy live in freshwater
- predators include; Fish, raccoon, otters, and herons
- prey include insects and snails
- also eat plants and algae
- northern species use tail flip to escape enemies
interesting facts about crayfish
- There are blue red and white crayfish
- Hydrogeologists- study crayfish
- 350 of the 500 species of crayfish live in the U.S.
Circulatory system of a crayfish
Crayfish have open circulatory systems. the organs include
- Heart- pumps blood
- Abdominal aorta- blood goes towards posterior
- anterior dorsal aorta- blood goes towards anterior
- sinuses- act as veins
human influence on crayfish
- Human eat a lot of crayfish
- Louisiana red crayfish were introduced to east Africa.
- the introduction of this species of crayfish has spread disease in the region.
Background info ( Grasshopper)
- genus/species Stethophyma celota
- live in temporate and tropical environments
- primary consumer
- hatch from eggs
- eaten by many, such as; skunks, shrews, birds, toads, and many more.
- Eat seeds and leaves
Interesting facts about Grasshoppers
- Grasshoppers can jump 20 times their height.
- Grasshoppers are a good source of protein (Yum!)
- tympanas allow grasshoppers to hear.
Respiratory system of a grasshopper
Air is taken in through spiracles. then it is taken to the Tracheae, where respiration occurs.
- Air sacs- hold air
- spiracles- take in air
- Tracheae- air filled tubes that diffuse gasses
human Influence on grasshoppers
- Grasshoppers cause more than 80 million dollars of damage to crops