- The writings of Enlightenment philosophers such as John Locke inspired the idea of unalienable rights.
- He believed that a social contract , or a agreement , exist between political leaders and the people ruled.
- The rule of law , wrote Locke , was more important then the authority of any individual.
- Locke also developed a definition of property as the product of a person’s
labor that would be foundational for both Adam Smith’s capitalism and
Karl Marx’s socialism.
- He was a key advocate of the empirical
approaches of the Scientific Revolution.