Alcohol Poisoning

Personal Risk

What is alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is when a person consumes a large amount of alcohol usually during a short time period. That persons blood alcohol level becomes very dangerously high due to the alcohol entering their system. There are many symptoms that occur when poisoned by alcohol, some of them including: confusion, lack of coordination, vomiting, seizures, irregular breathing, change of skin colour, low body temperature and unconsciousness.

The Effects of Alcohol Poisoning

Alcohol poisoning effects your body and health in several negative ways. The amount of alcohol in the blood can prevent the body from working correctly. Some effects include:
-Brain functions slowing down which causes loss of balance, focus and control of actions causing you to do things you wouldn't normally do.
-Vomiting due to an irritated stomach.
-Liver damage - the liver breaks down alcohol so it can be removed from your body but can be damaged if more alcohol is consumed than the liver can process.
-Nerves that control the heart can stop working
-Dehydration
-Worst of all, death due to the excessive amout of alcohol that the body can no longer handle, so it shuts down. Many people die each year from alcohol poisoning including young teenagers. This shows how extremely dangerous alcohol consumption and its effects are and that people need to be careful and responsible when drinking.