Where does it grow?
Warm to hot summers with high sunshine levels; even partial shade will reduce the yield substantially. Grows well in rich, drained soil. Seeds are viable for three to ten years.
What are it's uses?
Dill is often used in eggs or pickled items to add flavor. In seed form, dill is used as a pickling spice and to flavor breads and vegetables. The feathery leaves enhance seafood sauces, salad dressings, chicken and soups. They can also be used as decorative garnishes.
Creamy Dill Dip
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion, rehydrated
- 1 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning
- In small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, dill weed, onion, and Beau Monde seasoning. Blend well. Cover ,and refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Middle Ages people used dill to defend against witchcraft and enchantments.
- Digestion problems including loss of appetite, intestinal gas, and liver problem.
- Dill seed is sometimes applied to the mouth and throat for pain and swelling.