Why is this my grade and how can I change it?
How is your final grade determined?
- a %
- a reflection of the amount of work you completed, or a measure of your level of compliance
What your grade is:
- a summary of your level of understanding
- emphasis on the most recent level of learning for each goal - what do you know right now?
- a continuous demonstration of learning where skills are assessed and reassessed to keep material fresh
- an expectation that you will demonstrate understanding for all concepts as all skills will be used and reused as we continue with learning this language
From Understanding to a Grade
This information is found in the Learning Mastery Grades section in Canvas
I failed or got a really low grade earlier in the year, is it too late?
If you improve your understanding throughout the year, then your grade will reflect that and your earlier report card grades will be updated.
Example: Qtr 1-F, Qtr 2-C, Qtr 3-C, Qtr 4-B --> all grades (Q1, Q2, Q3) will be changed to a B.
Mrs. Smith will request a grade change and provide evidence of your improvement all concepts to justify the request.
how do i show understanding of a new skill?
Am I ready to test my proficiency on a skill for the first time?
- Completed minimum required practice - check Modules in Canvas for that skill for info
- Determined the expectation for that quiz - check Modules in Canvas for that skill for info
- If necessary, did additional practice to ensure the best understanding for that concept
I AM BELOW A LEVEL 2 ON A CONCEPT AND MY GRADE IS A D OR F, WHAT DO I DO?
- Make sure you completed PRACTICE tasks.
- Tasks that demonstrated understanding will receive a 2 on the learning scale and will have a check next to them in the module: review, revise, and resubmit until you reach this goal.
I HAVE AT LEAST A 2 ON ALL CONCEPTS AND MY GRADE IS A C, WHAT DO I DO?
- Complete the DEMONSTRATION OF UNDERSTANDING task.
- Make sure that earn a 3 on DEMONSTRATION OF UNDERSTANDING tasks: review, revise, and resubmit until you reach this goal.
I HAVE AT LEAST A 2.5 ON ALL CONCEPTS, AND MY GRADE IS A B, WHAT DO I DO?
To show the highest level of understanding, complete tasks that are:
- listening activities uploaded to practice section; make sure that you earn at least a 3 on this task: review, revise, and resubmit until you reach this goal.
- upload audio of you speaking the language to the demonstration of understanding or practice sections; make sure that you earn a 4 on this task: review, revise, and resubmit until you reach this goal.
- demonstrate ability to use the concept to communicate with Mrs. Smith; make sure that you earn at least a 3 on this task: review and try again until you reach this goal.
Note - Multiple demonstration of understandings at a level of 3 or higher help to ensure a higher level of overall understanding
I AM A LEVEL 3 OR ABOVE on all concepts, What is my next step?
If you have demonstrated a high level of proficiency, take the time to periodically review the skills in preparation for future assessments and to make sure the learning sticks.