Pet Food Safety
How to keep your furry friend healthy~
What do you feed your pet?
What are the risks?
Red Flag Foods!
It may be strange to feed your dog this anyway, but don't try it. Avocados contain a toxin called persin. When ingested, it causes diarrhea, vomiting, and breathing problems.
Garlic contains a substance called sulfoxide, which is a strong toxin. Consumption of this will stop red blood cell production and the dog's urine may be dark red or orange.
Although they are not harmful to humans, apple cores contain cyanide, astrong toxin that dogs are not able to handle. The effects from this are dizziness, seizures, shock, hyperventilation, and coma.
Are there any safe human foods for my dog?
- Peanut butter
- Cooked rice
- Fresh broccoli
- Sweet potatoes
- Fresh berries
Just keep in mind that all dogs are different. Just because your neighbor's dog doesn't react badly to a certain food, doesn't mean it's safe for your own dog. It would be a good idea consult a veterinarian with questions before feeding your dog a new food.
"Are Human Foods OK For Dogs To Eat?" Dogs. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2014.
- "12 Human Foods You Didn't Know Could Kill Your Dog." Foodbeast. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2014.
- "New Take on Feeding Your Dog Table Scraps: Is It Actually OK?" Pets Adviser. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2014.
- Pizza Dog. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.thisblogrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Pizza-Dog-6.jpg>.
- Avocado. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/Avocado_main_0511.jpg>.
- Garlic. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.thecandidadiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/garlic-large-620x360.jpg>.
- Apple Cores. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4047/4319953731_fa8659d820.jpg>.