ESPANOL Y EL CEREBRO
By: Hailey Allread
critical period hypothesis
The ability to learn language is negatively affected by the completion of process of lateralization. Lateralization is completed by puberty.
Advantages of learning L2 at a yonger age than an older age.
young learners: :
1) use the same part of there
brain for learning both languages
2) most likely to develop a native-like accent
3) less to learn to be considered proficient from
4) most likely to receive comprehensive input
1) use different parts of the brain
2) can consciously use strategies from L1
3) has knowledge from L1 to draw from
4) has greater control over input
These are reason why learning at a younger age is easier. Its also easier because they have only experience a few years of L1 so it will be easier to learn L2.
From 2-3 years of learning L2 they should be able to converse and understand it. From 4-10 years of learning L2 they should be able to read, write, speak and listen at an academic level.