School's Out for Summer ... Almost!
In Loving Memory of Stephenson Aman 🕊️
Stephenson "Hollywood" Aman was the MLC's biggest supporter over the last several decades. He was a mentor, staff member, basketball coach, and huge advocate for anyone and everyone! A piece of our heart is gone forever.
Somerville Youth Arts Festival
- Food provided by Pikliz International Kitchen in honor of Stephenson 'Hollywood' Aman
- Check out the Upcoming Community Events section for more info.
Forever Hollywood: 18+ League
- 18+ pick up basketball league in honor of Stephenson 'Hollywood' Aman
- Registration link is below
May Activities Recap
Gardening, Rock Climbing, Dinosaurs, Oh My!
Spring for Children & Fluffy's Retirement
Golden Gatherings Recap
There were sweet treats, fruit, coffee, orange juice, music, laughs, and smiles. Our second Golden Gathering was just as fun as the first one. Golden agers welcomed with music from the Brooklyn Bassoons, Marji and Dan from Around Hear, smiles, food, and good conversation from the Mystic Staff. Golden agers planted, with a little special guest.
B-I-N-G-0: Family Game Night Recap
Can I get a B-I-N-G-O! The Mystic Learning Center hosted a very successful Family Bingo Night. Over 20 people from the Mystic community came to join! Prizes were abundant, laughter was ever-present, and Kevin’s “Dad jokes” kept us giggling. Thank you to every family who came and joined in on the fun. Thank you to Kevin Roy and Bridget Fahy for acting as our Bingo announcers!
A March for Peace, to end violence in our City!
On Friday, Marchers walked from Foss Park to Somerville's City Hall to raise their voices against violence. Thank you, Teen Empowerment, for hosting the event. It's important we as a community come together to make our city and neighborhood safe.
Congratulations 2022 Graduates!
"Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to great places! You're off and away! You have brains in your heads. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go." - Dr. Seuss
Birthdays & Holidays!
Early Release & School Closings
School's out for Summer
MLC/ MELC Closings
- Friday, June 3rd: Staff Professional Development Day
- Monday, June 20th: In observance of Juneteenth
What Time is it? Activity Time!
New month, new fun activities! Every day of the week, we create lesson plans according to our daily themes:
Movement/ Mindfulness Monday: Activities to get the body moving, whether it's yoga and connecting with their minds, playing kickball, or a game of capture the flag.
STEAM Tuesday & Thursday: Science, math, technology, arts and crafts, oh my! These activities focus on creativity and building.
Service Learning Wednesday: Activities focused on giving back to our community, whether it's making a card for the elderly or picking up trash in our neighborhood!
Fun Friday: Activities based on all things fun! The activities range from cooking and baking to playing at the park.
Parents Night Out, in place of our monthly parent meeting will take place on Monday, June 13th.
- Invite only event for parents who have attended 75% or more parent meetings.
- Family Photos will be from 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. If you are interested please be here promptly at that time to receive professional photos.
- Child care will be provided
Personnel Improvement & Policy (PIP) Committee Monthly meeting will be on Monday, June 27, from 6:00- 7:30 pm at the Mystic Learning Center.
- PIP meetings are on the third Monday of every other month.
Upcoming Community Events
Around here: Open Concert
- This is a free event
- People of all ages are welcome
- Masks appreciated
- Music be played throughout the afternoon
- There will be hot beverages and the usual communal drawing paper and crayons, postcards, stationery, and other art and writing supplies for you to enjoy as you listen.
When?: Saturday, June 11th from 1-5 p.m. Program: The complete sonatas for piano and violin by Johannes Brahms, Op. 78, 100, 108, and WoO2. Performers: Marji Gere, violin & Dan Sedgwick, piano
This concert is dedicated to the memory of Stephenson "Hollywood" Aman.
Learn how to join the MLC & MELC Today!
We're Hiring! Join the MLC/ MELC Team!
Do you enjoy working with children?
Do you enjoy working with children? If yes, join us at the Mystic Early Learning Center today and work with an energetic and great group of students! We are now hiring for a Lead Preschool Teacher.
Are you 21 years of age? Have an Associate Degree in education or a related field? Can you work independently, support team needs as they arise, be flexible, and work in a fast-paced environment? Do you relate well with a diverse low-income community and local community agencies? If yes, click the link to learn more about the Lead Preschool Teacher position!
Hiring for the 2022-2023 school year. ** $1,000 sign on bonus, $500 after the first week of employment; $500 after 3 months ** This position is 30 to 40 hours a week. Start Date: Immediately
Open positions for Group Leaders & Assistant Group Leaders
Do you enjoy working with children? If yes, join us at the Mystic Learning/Mystic Early Learning Center today and work with an energetic and great group of students! We are now hiring for multiple group and assistant group leaders, just in time for the best summer ever!
Are you 18 years of age, and have at least a high school diploma? Do you have previous experience working with children? Do you have good communication skills and work well with others? Do you enjoy weekly trips to the beach and the pool (summer only)? Then this is the job for you!
These positions are 40hrs a week when school is closed (13 weeks)- Summer and School Vacations, and 30hrs a week when school is open (39 weeks)- School year.
** $250 sign on bonus after the first week of employment; $250 after the first two months.** Start Date: Immediately
Resources for Somerville Families
The Human Service Division of the City of Somerville Department of Health and Human Services is now available to take online referrals for services through a new online contact form. Referrals may be completed by individuals directly seeking services, parents or guardians, service providers, or community partners.
The services provided are available at no cost to Somerville residents of all ages and include:
- Supportive counseling for individuals and families
- Briefcase management
- Service coordination for individuals and families
- Information and Referral to services
- Including mental health services, utility and benefits assistance, workforce development, housing support, youth services, financial literacy, legal assistance, survivor services, literacy, and language development, public health services, substance misuse services for youth.
- School consultation, support, and advocacy
Policies and Reminders
- Text Tracey, Nita, and Jess by 11:00 a.m. if your child will not be attending the Mystic that day. We need to let our staff, who do school pick-ups know when they are not picking up your child. Thank You!
- The MLC and MELC close at 5:30 p.m. If you're running late, please give us a call.
- Only persons listed on your child's pick-up list will be allowed to sign them out. If you'd like to add more people to the pick-up list, contact us in writing.
- Between the hours of 3:20 and 5:00 p.m., students will have their phones stored away in their backpacks until the end of choice time. You can call the main Mystic number or contact Nichole or Nita if you need to reach your child(ren).
Follow Us on Facebook
Like & Follow us Here! We are excited to share more of the great work we do and the incredible community collaborations we make to consistently support our community & engage with our donors & supporters.
Engage With Us on Instagram
Engage with us Here! We just joined the Instagram community! Come be part of our "founding followers" and spread the word, so more people know the great work we are doing!
Stay Tuned As We Update Our Website
Click Here to See Where We Are & To Watch Where We Are Going! We invest our time, energy, and resources in our direct program offerings for the community we serve. Now it's time we show you all we've been up to! Stay tuned as our website get's a facelift. :)
Address: 530 Mystic Avenue, Somerville, Ma 02145Phone: 617-623-0110