Harms of GMO Products
Hurts Small Farms
- Might be too expensive for some farmers in LDCs
- This can lead to capitalism, an increased gap between the rich and the poor.
- When countries are able to produce food that was once imported from other countries, the economy of the other countries are hurt.
- Most manufacturers only create GMOs for personal profit.
- They don't pay attention to the risk it poses to both people and nature
GM Products pose health risks
- GMOs might create allergens in certain food products
- Antibiotic-resistance genes could help spread bacteria within the human body.
- The FDA, Department of Agriculture, and Environmental Protection Agency have very few rules when it comes to monitoring GMO products.
Potentially Harms Environment
- Harms other wildlife, such as monarch butterflies
- GMO corn pollen was proven to kill more monarch larvae than milkweed leaves did.
- Viruses might evolve into new strains, causing widespread diseases in plants.