Promesa Family Update
July 23rd, 2021
Dear New and Returning Promesa Families,
We are just three weeks away from welcoming your beautiful children back to school! As we all get ready for the new school year, it helps to make sure your children are starting to readjust to a more regular sleep schedule from their summer schedule.
Here are a few quick reminders/links in case you missed them:
1. Meet the Teacher Night: Wednesday, August 11th from 4-6pm. To ensure easier access to onsite parking, please sign up for a time slot here. If you have multiple children across one or multiple grades, you only need to sign up once!
2. Supply Lists: You can find supply lists here. Please label items with your child's name and bring all supplies (except your child's backpack) to our Meet the Teacher event.
3. Uniforms: You can find our uniform policy here.
4. First Day of School: The first day of school for all students is Monday, August 16th!
5. COVID Guidelines: You can take a look at our COVID guidelines here.
6. Past Newsletters: All past newsletters can be found here.
Take a look below for new updates on detailed daily schedules, how to join the family advisory council, and a supply giveaway!
With love and gratitude,
- Breakfast and Arrival: If your child wants breakfast on campus, please drop them off between 7:15-7:45am. All students should be on campus by 7:45am for morning meetings.
- Dismissal: Pick-up is between 3-3:15pm unless your child is participating in any afterschool program.
- Recesses: All students have two 30-minute recesses daily!
- Lunch: All students have a 30-minute lunch. Lunch will be offered to students for free, but you are more than welcome to send your child to school with their own lunch. If you do, we ask that lunches are peanut-free and healthy - please do not send your child to school with high-sugar snacks or sodas.
- Math/Literacy: All students have 60 minutes of math and 120 minutes of literacy/social studies daily.
- Specials: All students have two specials classes on Monday-Thursday that rotate between music, art, PE, science, Spanish, and library.
- WIN Time: This year we have added in a 30-minute block at the end of the day called WIN, or Whatever I Need, time. This will be an opportunity for your child to receive additional support in math/literacy or engage in an extension project with one of their teachers. Students will be split up into smaller groups for this time and will rotate WIN groups every 4-5 weeks.
- Electives: We are excited to offer a range of electives every Friday that your child will be able to opt into each semester. Here are some examples of electives we offered last year. Our teachers will be finalizing elective courses the first week they return and we will share them with families the first week of school. We hope to spend the first Friday sharing elective options with your children and to start electives the second week of school.
To ensure easier access to onsite parking, please sign up for a slot for the Meet the Teacher event on August 11th.
Join us on Friday, August 6th from 12:30-2:30pm for a free supply giveaway sponsored by Frost Bank! They will have 75 boxes available for our families, so it will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Are you interested in leading or joining the Family Advisory Council? If so, please fill out this form so that you can get added to the council's mailing list. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you buying supplies from Amazon for the new school year? Please use this link to support our school! Amazon will donate 0.5% of every purchase to Promesa at no cost to you!
Frequently Asked Questions this Week!
As we gear up for the new school year, we know that you have many questions on your mind! We'll try to capture some of the most frequently asked questions for the week, but please never hesitate to reach out to us if you have any additional questions!
1) Where can I find the uniform policy?
All of our resources (uniform policy, handbook, supply lists, etc.) can be found here: https://www.promesaacademy.org/families
We are also adding a file to the uniform policy below in case you have trouble accessing it.
2) How will meals work?
We will continue to offer three FREE meals to ALL families next year! Your child will be able to have a free breakfast, lunch, and afterschool snack on campus, but you are more than welcome to send your child to school with their own snacks and meals. We just ask that any food sent from homes is peanut-free and that families do not send their children to school with unhealthy snacks or sodas.
3) When will I know who my child's teacher is?
Our rosters should be ready by the end of next week - so very soon!
4) Where can I register for after-school care?
We are in final conversations with our afterschool partner and registration will open up soon. You will also be able to register during our Meet the Teacher night.
You can find our academic calendar on our website whenever you need to refer to it!
Did you miss last week's newsletter or want to refer back to a previous newsletter? Click here to view all previous versions of our family newsletters!
New Families - Make Sure to Finish Registration!
Director of Curriculum and Instruction: Mary Hoekje, email@example.com
Director of Operations [Transportation/Afterschool Questions]: Casandra Reyes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Front Office Manager [Registration Questions]: Esme Flores, email@example.com