2018 U.P. Administrators' Academy
July 31st & August 1st in Escanaba, Michigan
9th Annual Academy
The U.P. Administrators’ Academy brings practicing school superintendents & administrators together to explore current issues in school administration and leadership. The Academy is co-sponsored by MAISA, MASA–Region 1, Northern Michigan University, and the Upper Peninsula Center for Educational Development (UPCED).
Location: Terrace Bay Inn Gladstone, Michigan
Tuesday, July 31st, 8:30am to Wednesday, Aug. 1st, 3:30pm
7146 P. Rd., Gladstone, MI 49837 906-786-7554 email@example.com
Rooms available at conference rate- book now!
Featuring special welcomes and brief updates from: MASA Executive Director Chris Wigent, MAISA Executive Director William Miller.
8:30 A.M. Light Breakfast
9:00 A.M. Message from Chris Wigent, Executive Director, MASA
9:30 A.M Legal Landscape with Lisa Swem of Thrun Law Firm
This session provides administrators with a chance to deepen their understanding of critical legal issues impacting their buildings and districts in the coming school year.
12:15-1:00 P.M. Luncheon
1:00 P.M. Legislative Panel with our Elected Representatives:
Facilitator: Bryan DeAugustine
To maintain clear, open, and pro-active communication channels with legislators as they seek to bring about positive and impactful change in Michigan’s educational system and to ensure that all demographics, including the Upper Peninsula, are represented in Lansing, is our priority.
3:00 P.M.Debrief and Follow Up to Legislative Session
3:30 Tentative- MiSTEM Update: Kevin St. Onge, Chris Standerford, and Emily Gochis
4:00 P.M. Day One Closure with Social Hour to follow. Social Hour sponsored by SET-SEG
7:45 A.M. Breakfast
8:15 A.M. Message from Patti Tremblay, MAISA Director of Government Relations
8:45 A.M. Keynote with Vern Hazard
We can create high-achieving centers of learning by strengthening students’ connectedness to others through enhancing healthy bonds with their peer, their teachers and their administrators. and establishing collaborative agreements of acceptable behavior. Together, we will build meaningful, productive relationships with every student and every colleague to:
- create a safe, effective environment for learning.
- develop self-managing, high-performing classrooms
- effectively deal with conflict, negative behavior, and disrespect issues.
11:45-12:30 P.M. Luncheon-
12:30 P.M. Choice of Topic-Based Sessions A
- Essential Practices for Literacy Leadership: Melissa Usiak: MSU and Executive Director, MiASCD
- Student Growth and Ed Eval: Wendy Zdeb: Executive Director, MASSP
- Michigan Financial Adequacy Study, Next Steps: Ron Koehler and Dan Reattoir, Members School Finance Research Collaborative
2:10 P.M. Choice of Topic Based Sessions B
- Essential Practices for Literacy Leadership: with Melissa Usiak: MSU and Executive Director, MiASCD
- Maximizing the Value of SAT/PSAT: Wendy Zdeb: Executive Director, MASSP
- Competency-Based Learning in our Schools: Phil Jankowski, Armada Public Schools
3:45 p.m. Academy Closure and Drawings for Baskets
Lisa Swem, Thrun Law Firm
Legal Landscape Entering the 2018-19 School Year
Legislative Panel & Discussion
Updates and a Q & A session with elected officials.
Vern Hazard, Senior Leadership Solutions- Flippen Group
Building Relationship for Administrators
Registration Fee: $95.00 for Administrators Academy
College Equivalent Credit of 25 SCECHs = $25.00
Hour by Hour SCECHs up to 11 hours = $15.00
1 University Credit available through Northern Michigan University