LEAD Innovation Studio
Vol. 4, Issue 12 - November 6, 2020
NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Please take a moment to check your student's progress.
*For In-person students, be sure to consider the following as you do so: LEAD's grading approach is based on mastery learning and growth in students' cognitive skills. For most projects, students have the ability to resubmit project work to improve cognitive skill scores. They can also improve scores through work on subsequent projects. For PFAs (Power Focus Areas, which are assessments) they have the opportunity to retake. We spend a great deal of time helping students in goal setting and action planning, as well as strategies for preparing for PFAs and completing project work.
*For Online students, be sure to monitor Infinite Campus consistently, and have students share with you the calendar from their Schoology course which should list upcoming due dates.
*For All Students, Facilitators are posting expectations and assignments for the week ahead on Wednesday mornings. We encourage our students to review those Wednesday morning and make plans for the upcoming week.
For all families, we are looking to partner to with you to support student in whatever they need. We also have a number of programs currently running or getting ready to start in the near future to provide additional opportunities and supports for students. We always want to start with mentors and making plans for success with students. We also have a team dedicated to identifying students who are struggling and providing additional supports. See below for more information on the following opportunities:
-After school tutoring on club days
-PH Online support
-Parent Summit Support
LEAD’s next club dates are November 10th and 12th. We have had a great turn out so far this year. Remember students can sign up for bus transportation for a ride home the day of their club meeting!
NEW CLUB: LEAD is excited to offer a homework helper club! Students who need a quiet place to work can attend. Interested students may email Mrs. Creal if they would like to attend. (firstname.lastname@example.org). This club will meet on the regular club dates listed below.
Nov 10 and 12
Dec 8 and 10
Jan 12 and 14
Feb 9 and 11
March 9 and 11
April 13 and 15
May11 and 13
New Black Student Union Club
A new club is coming to LEAD! LEAD is excited to host a Black Student Union Club! Our very own administrative assistant Ms. Jevonee Rhea will be the sponsor! Students please email Ms. Rhea to join this new club! We would like the meetings to begin this upcoming week! Students can sign up for a bus ride home on the actual day your club meets, so advanced notice is not needed!
Please email Ms. Rhea for more information on the BSU club at LEAD: RheaJ@parkhill.k12.mo.us
LEAD A+ Tutoring available!
10th, 11th and 12th grade LEAD A+ students can now sign up to tutor their peers, either face to face or virtually, and get A+ hours for their time and effort! If your student would like to tutor, they need to fill out the A+ Tutors Application which can be found under the Resources tab in their Schoology LEAD A+ group.
If you feel that your child could benefit from meeting with a tutor, they can sign up for one in Summit. Please have your student follow these directions to access the request form:
- Open Summit and in the left blue field, select the 20-21 LEAD Homeroom course
- Scroll down to the LEAD Info and Useful Documents
- Select LEAD Community
- Scroll down to Resources and select the LEAD Tutoring request
Our goal is to have a tutor assigned to the request in one work week.
After School Tutoring Club
PH Online Support
Park Hill Online Support is a resource for parents/guardians and students as they navigate the online learning experience. Call center staff are trained in navigating online educational software such as Seesaw, Schoology, Edgenuity, and Infinite Campus. They can also help with online assessments and finding resources. Have a question or a problem and you’re not sure whom can answer it or who can help? Call Park Hill Online Support at 816-359-4404 or email us at email@example.com.
Here is a link to PH Parent University with additional resources and information.
VETERAN'S DAY RECOGNITION
The Administration, Staff and Students at LEAD would like to honor and recognize past and present Heroes in the seven branches of the United States Military forces for Veteran’s Day. Thank you to all who submitted photos and recognitions. We will create a slide show that will be shown during the week of November 9-13 on our TV monitors at LEAD. We are also conducting celebrations in honor of Veteran's Day during Community Time on Monday and Tuesday.
Thank you for contributing to our celebration of Veteran's Day 2020!
Here are a couple examples of how we will recognize each entry:
10th and 11th grade award recipients will have an assembly during 2nd block on the 16th and 17th.
12th grade award recipients will have a ceremony on the evening of 11/17.
Details were sent to all recipients and families on Friday 11/6.
ATTENTION PARK HILL HIGH SCHOOL/LEAD STUDENTS
Park Hill High School class t-shirts are available for all grades! If you are looking to buy a class t-shirt for your student please use this link - https://phclassshirts2020.itemorder.com/
T-shirts will be delivered to your child during homeroom or available for pick up once the orders are processed. Orders end Monday, November 9 at 3:00pm.
Please email Morgan Corten at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
SECOND SEMESTER ENROLLMENT INFORMATION
Just as in this fall semester, families will choose between in-person and online learning for their children.
We will again have all students who choose the in-person option in one of the three modes, depending on how bad the pandemic is in our area: 100% in-person mode, split mode (we are currently in this mode), and distance mode.
- Park Hill Online:
How do I switch my child’s learning option?
You will be able to change learning options in the Parent Portal during the enrollment window from October 29 to November 13. The district sent an email to parents including a link to the portal if you would like to make a change. There is a phone line set up during the enrollment window to answer questions. You can call the help line at 816-359-4044 during business hours through November 13 or email email@example.com.
Parent Advisory Committee - Volunteering Opportunities
At the meeting we discussed several topics:
- Academic Awards Update
- Spring Semester Enrollment
- Learning Update
- Building Updates
- Parent Committees
See below for more details on these. If you are interested in being involved in student or staff activities and support (coordinating or providing snacks/ treats) please complete the sign up survey here:
HOUSING AND INTERIORS PROJECT . . . GINGERBREAD VILLAGE
Housing and Interiors is starting a new yearly tradition of building community through holiday spirit! This year we will be creating a Gingerbread Village as a class wide project to be displayed throughout our building. If you would like to donate to our festivities please see the link to sign up and bring in needed supplies by 11/10/2020! Video link
Courtney Carter, M.Ed.
LEAD Innovation Studio
Family and Consumer Science
We have had a great response to our request for "shout-outs" for our LEADers and we love it! But let's not stop there. Please continue to send us info that you'd like to share with us at LEAD. This could include:
- Birthdays - Feel free to submit a picture and special message! They will get their own page wishing them happy birthday!
- Sporting events at the home high school - pictures in action or in uniform.
- Future plans - Has your LEAD Senior decided on their future plans? Have they declared a college, trade school, or military? Again, we want to highlight them on our big screen! Send us picture and inform us of their future plans. We would love to highlight all of our Seniors this year at LEAD.
- Other accomplishments - Feel free to share those with us too!
Submit your Shout Out by completing this form: https://forms.gle/65rF3tGjPdT3UQRt7.
Dr. Sarah Eisenmenger
LEAD Assistant Principal
FOR THE CLASS OF 2021 . . .
How would you like college scholarship money for your senior?
Your student is encouraged to participate in the 4th Annual Park Hill School District Scholarship Initiative Program! The Park Hill School District has partnered with several area colleges and universities who have agreed to offer various merit based and need based scholarships to the Class of 2021.
With your permission, the District will send your student’s academic records (transcript, ACT scores, GPA, class rank, gender, and ethnicity) to these partner institutions. The colleges and universities will evaluate your student’s individual information and consider them for various scholarship opportunities based on their specific merit and need based criteria.
It is our hope that, early next semester, a Scholarship Initiative Showcase (see details below) will be held for LEAD, Park Hill South and Park Hill High School seniors, and their parents/guardians. At this event, your student will learn about the scholarships they are being offered from these partner schools. You will have an opportunity to meet with college representatives and learn more about the exciting programs and opportunities, as well as the next steps in the application/admission process.
· Over 300 PHS and PHHS seniors from Class of 2020 were offered scholarships!
· A total of over $100 Million in scholarships were offered!
· 20 area colleges and universities participated!
Save the date…..
· Scholarship Initiative Showcase – January 27, 2021 (tentative, pending health and safety conditions; February 3 is the inclement weather backup date), 6:00-7:30pm at Park Hill South High School. For LEAD, Park Hill South and Park Hill High School students and parents/guardians.
** Special invitations for those receiving scholarships will be sent out in advance.
· Financial Aid Presentation – February 3, 2021, 7:30-8:15pm at Park Hill South High School Auditorium. A local university financial aid director will be leading the program. FAFSA, grants, loans, scholarships, and other sources of financial aid will be discussed.
** All students and families are welcome to attend!
** To participate ** All you need to do is give us permission to share your student’s information. Please follow these instructions to give your permission by Thursday, October 29:
- Log-in to the Infinite Campus Parent Portal (see instructions for doing so here).
- Click on the Surveys tab.
- Select the Park Hill School District Scholarship Initiative survey.
We are excited about this opportunity for your student, and are looking forward to working with you! If you have questions, please contact your student’s counselor.
Dr. Ryan Stanley, Principal
LEAD Innovation Studio
Amanda Shanks, Last Names, A-K
Rachel Colvin, Last Names, L-Z
1/8 page - Maximum 2 pictures, 25 words - $15.00
1/4 page - Maximum 4 pictures, 50 words - $27.00
Please use this form to create your senior salute and upload photos:
- Photos taken from social media are likely too low of resolution to be usable.
- A reminder that copyrighted material is not allowed and will be rejected.
- Be sure to include the appropriate signature (i.e. "Love, Mom and Dad").
- Do NOT exceed the word limit or yearbook staff will edit/cut for you.
- Staff reserves the right to edit all content for grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Staff reserves the right to refuse content not suitable for student publications or for violating copyright laws.
- We will design and edit ads for consistency and clarity, so please do not send a completely designed ad. You are simply submitting image(s) and a personal message.
- Once your order has been approved, the fee will be entered in Infinite Campus where it can be paid.
- Senior Salute orders DUE November 25
If you have questions, please contact yearbook adviser Melanie Farber: firstname.lastname@example.org
DECA - PARK HILL SOUTH
JOSTENS - Class rings & Graduation information
- November 12 & 13 - Additional grad announcement & cap/gown order day
- January 21 & 22 - Sophomore class ring premier (socially distanced class meeting). Order/information packets distributed
- January 25 & 26 (lunch periods) - Class ring orders
- February 2 & 4 - Additional ring orders
- March 12 (lunch periods) - Grad announcement delivery
- March 17 - Additional grad announcement delivery
- April 8 & 9 (lunch periods) - Class ring delivery
- April 15 (lunch periods) - Cap/gown delivery
- April 21 - Additional cap/gown delivery
SENIORS A+ DEADLINES!!
Here is a list of important "To-Do" items for Seniors who are planning on receiving an A+ scholarship. Depending on first or second semester graduation, these items should be done no later than December (fall graduate) or late April (spring graduate). For any of the items that need to be submitted, please submit them directly to your home high school's A+ coordinator and NOT Ms. Villalobos at LEAD. Ellen Reys at PHHS: email@example.com or Dr. Owens at PHS: firstname.lastname@example.org
ASAP: Parents will need to help with this step and use last year's tax return. Students need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms due . All FAFSA information is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
December or April: A+ Attendance appeals & documentation due (if necessary)
December or April: ALL Mentoring and Tutoring hours (50) due
December or April: Final Senior Reflection due (will be sent to your school e-mail)
December or April: Complete Final Transcript Request through Naviance (transcript & A+ funds will be delayed if not completed)
FRESHMEN COUNSELOR MEETINGS FOR ICAP
Hello, LEAD Freshman!
It’s time for us to meet to discuss your ICAP (Individual Career and Academic Plan) to map out your 4 Year Plan of high school courses. Meetings have begun and will continue through Friday, November 20.
- Hybrid Students – Please select an In Person time and bring your lap top to the meeting. When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. On the day of your scheduled meeting, create an e-hall pass to come meet with your counselor.
- Online Students – Please select a Zoom meeting time. When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. Your counselor will send you a zoom link for you to access your meeting.
Sign up for a meeting with your LEAD counselor, here:
Mrs. Shanks (Last Names A-K): https://calendly.com/amanda-shanks/freshman-icap-individual-counselor-meeting
Mrs. Colvin (Last Names L-Z): https://calendly.com/rachelcolvin/freshman-meeting-with-mrs-colvin-last-names-l-z
We look forward to seeing you soon! --Mrs. Colvin and Mrs. Shanks
11/9 - 11/13 SCHEDULE
Monday: In person day for last name A-K
Tuesday: In person day for last name L-Z
Wednesday: Distance learning day for all
Thursday: In person day for last name A-K
Friday: In person day for last name L-Z
- November 6 - Grades available to view at 4:00 PM
- November 10 (6:00-7:00) - ZOOM Parent Night - Preventing Youth Suicide
- November 10 & 12 - LEAD Clubs after school. Sign up here if you need to take the bus: https://forms.gle/o8jnCTBunC1uo6oCA.