Week of November 14, 2022
Greetings Kingsford Family!
Welcome to a new week of learning! Can you believe it? We are at the start of the second quarter. I am grateful for each of you and the role you've played in the success of our students. Because of you and our dedicated teachers and staff members, our students continue to thrive! Students are currently taking benchmark assessments. These assessments are designed to inform us how well students are progressing toward mastering standards taught during quarter 1.
This week is American Education Week. It's the perfect time to check in with goals students set at the beginning of the school year or to set new goals for the second quarter. The goal can be as simple as reading a book or practicing basic math facts each night or more specific like reading directions twice before starting an assignment. No matter the goal, setting goals gives students something to strive for and gives parents a way to check in with students.
As always, Mrs. Price and I are here to support you. Let us know how we can help. Email is the best way to reach us- Principal Jones firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal Price email@example.com.
Wishing all a fantastic week. Be safe, be well!
American Education Week
This week is American Education Week. During this week, we celebrate the power of public education and thank the educators and staff who do so much to make our public schools the cornerstone of our democracy, prosperity, and strength. A small thank you goes a long way. Be sure to say "thank you" to your child's teachers! To celebrate this week, students may participate in our theme days.
- Monday - Don't leave home without your thinking cap! Wear your favorite hat to school.
- Tuesday - College Pride Day - Dress in your favorite college colors or wear a college t-shirt or sweatshirt.
- Wednesday - Don't sleep on your education. Students may wear school-appropriate pajamas to school.
- Thursday - Your future is so bright, you have to wear shades! Wear your favorite sunglasses.
- Friday - Dress for Success! Dress up as your future career.
We also invite parents to have completed the volunteer process for PGCPS (completed the fingerprinting process and watched the videos) to visit the school to volunteer this week. Parents may assist with cafeteria or recess duty or visit the classroom to lend a hand. Those who plan to volunteer are required to schedule a time to come in and not just show up.
This Week at Kingsford...
Welcome to Kingsford Elementary School! This week is American Education Week and a five-day week!
- Ensure prekindergarten and kindergarten bus riders wear their safety vest to school every day.
- Submit lunch applications (https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application). If approval for free or reduced meals has not been granted your student needs lunch money. Lunch is $2.75 each day.
- Early dismissal ENDS at 1:15 pm
Monday, November 14th
- Students in grades 1 & 2 will take the Math Benchmark.
- American Education Week, Day 1 - Don't leave home without your thinking cap! Wear your favorite hat to school.
- The Department of Family and School Partnerships will host a virtual session for families on best practices to support students with Canvas on Monday, Nov. 14 at 6 p.m.
Tuesday, November 15th
Students in grades 3, 4 & 5 will take the Math Benchmark.
American Education Week, Day 2 - College Pride Day - Dress in your favorite college colors or wear a college t-shirt or sweatshirt.
America Recycles Day
Kingsford PTA Fundraiser at Chipotle 4:00-8:00pm
Wednesday, November 16th
- First Quarter Report Cards available online
- American Education Week, Day 3 - Don't sleep on your education. Students may wear school-appropriate pajamas to school.
Thursday, November 17th
- American Education Week, Day 4 - Your future is so bright, you have to wear shades! Wear your favorite sunglasses.
Friday, November 18th
It's Friday! Check your child's progress in SchoolMAX.
American Education Week, Day 5 - Dress for Success! Dress up as your future career.
Kingsford PTA News
In case you missed it!
Free Virtual Literacy Tutoring: BookNook
Free Math Tutoring
To learn more about the application process click on the link below:
- ENGLISH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
- SPANISH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
- FRENCH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
Visit www.pgcps.org/volunteer for more information on becoming a volunteer and to access the application.
All families are asked to monitor students daily to ensure they are well enough to attend school. Though COVID numbers have decreased we want to ensure we keep our community safe. Please keep your child at home if he/she is not feeling well and contact your child's teacher. Upon their return please send in a handwritten note (not through Class Dojo) or a doctor's excuse.
NEED SCHOOL SUPPLIES?
Contact our professional school counselor Ms. Twewaa at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a student in need of school supplies. We have received donations from our community partners who are ready to support our families.
SCHOOL & OFFICE HOURS
Administration and office staff can be reached via email Monday-Friday. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response. While Class Dojo is available, email is the best way to connect with the administration.
Principal - Mrs. Jones - email@example.com
Assistant Principal - Mrs. Price - firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal's Secretary - Mrs. Williams - email@example.com
Need assistance, we can help-
- ESOL- Ms. Bedessem - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lunch Accounts & Balances - Ms. Lopez - email@example.com
- Math or Technology- Mr. Flores - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reading/TAG - Mrs. Mullennix - email@example.com
- Testing - Ms. Redmond - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Education - Ms. Marshall - email@example.com
- Social/Emotional/Behavioral Concerns - Ms. Twewaa - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration/Withdrawal - Ms. Williams - email@example.com
- Student Transportation - Ms. Day - firstname.lastname@example.org
- COVID related questions - Nurse Neal - email@example.com
- Alphabest Before & AfterCare - Mr. Hunter -
November 21 & 22 - 2-Hr. Early Dismissal for Students
November 22 - First Quarter Report Cards mailed home
November 23-25 - Thanksgiving Break – Schools and Offices Closed
November 28 - Grade Appeal Window for Parent
December 6 - Kingsford's PTA General Body Meeting
December 12 - School Picture Day
December 23, 26-30 - Winter Break & Christmas – Schools and Offices Closed