Current & Future Status
Spain: 500-1,000 individuals
France: several hundred individuals
Danube Delta (Romania): 70 individuals
Russia: The mink is now extinct in 40 of the 61 regions (roughly 66%). It is expected that the mink will become extinct in 28 of those regions within 10 years.
Note the distinctive white ring around the mouth.
Most Mink are nocturnal creatures.
The European Mink is both a land an water mammal.
Did You Know?
~Although their fur has evolved to become water resistant, the European Mink's eyesight is incredibly poor under water.
~The American Mink was more popular to fur trappers because of their larger size, but European Minks were still hunted into near extinction.
~The European Mink is differentiated from the American Mink by its smaller size and the band of white around it's nose and mouth.
The typical habitat of the European Mink.
The direct competitor of the European Mink.
Pre-Nineteenth Century Range
The Range of the European Mink before fur trading began booming.
1. Map the distribution of the European mink in the Delta and adjacent areas to identify its actual distribution. In addition, it is necessary to clarify the presence and eventual distribution of the American mink in the area.
2. Analyse the distribution of the European mink in context with habitat types in order to identify critical habitat requirements.
3. Quantify basic ecological features such as diet, resting sites, use of space, competition within other carnivores and human caused reasons of mortality.
4. Identify the genetics of the Danube Delta population in comparison with the other populations.
5. Public relations and education campaign.
6. Formulate a science based action plan for the necessary steps to allow the long term survival of this population and doing this contributing significantly to the world wide survival of the species in the wild.
This project began in 1999, just five years after the European Mink was declared endangered. For more information, visit http://www.personal.psu.edu/~users/v/x/vxg901/publ/ddiannals2001_124-129.pdf
How Can You Help?
The IUCN Monitors current threats to endangered species:
Stop Fur Farms:
Facts about Minks http://news.softpedia.com/news/7-Facts-About-Minks-76220.shtml
European Conservation Efforts http://www.personal.psu.edu/~users/v/x/vxg901/publ/ddiannals2001_124-129.pdf