Civics Leadership Assignment
WHO IS TERRY FOX?
WHAT WAS THE PERSON INVOLVED IN THAT MADE THEM A LEADER?
Terry Fox was involved in the Marathon of Hope, which was the name of the run across Canada that he wanted to accomplish. He wanted to do this to help spread awareness and raise money for cancer patients. He accomplished this by running across Canada with a prosthetic right leg. He also named his foundation the Terry Fox Foundation where he collected money from
WHAT ACTIONS DID THE INDIVIDUAL TAKE TO SHOW LEADERSHIP?
WHICH THREE LEADERSHIP TRAITS DID THEY PORTRAY?
- COURAGE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF FEAR, IT'S INSPIRING OTHERS TO MOVE BEYOND IT
- LEAD FROM THE FRONT- BUT DON'T LEAVE YOUR BASE BEHIND
- QUITTING IS LEADING TOO
COURAGE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF FEAR, IT'S INSPIRING OTHERS TO MOVE BEYOND IT
- Even though Terry was terrified of his disease, he still chose to inspire others by running across Canada for the sake of helping others
- Terry was so determined to help out others that he practiced for days before running across Canada
- Even after Terry's death, many people across the world honored him by donating money towards cancer research
- Today, there are streets, schools statues and many other monuments have been created because of the inspiration Terry passed on to others.
- There are also people worldwide that participate in the Terry Fox Run to continue his legacy
Terry Fox Public School
In Newmarket, Ontario
Terry Fox Statue
Located in Thunder Bay, Ontario
Terry Fox Highway
Located on North Shore of Lake Superior
LEAD FROM THE FRONT- BUT DON'T LEAVE YOUR BASE BEHIND
- Terry led everyone so that he could raise money and awareness for cancer research, but that didn't mean that he stopped running after a certain amount of money was raised and people knew about it, he kept on persevering
- Terry, after seeing so many other cancer patients in pain, decided to raise awareness by collecting money for cancer research and that's where he started to become famous, not only for his run but for the compassion he had
QUITTING IS LEADING TOO
- Even though Terry had to stop running because of his cancer spreading, his legacy inspired others to carry on the awareness.
- When Terry had passed away, no one stopped raising money instead, they honoured him by collecting more money and continuing his legacy, so that more patients of cancer can be cured
- Just because in Terry's mind, he thought that he had failed, many people were more inspired than upset over Terry's experience throughout this journey and how he didn't do all of that just for the money, he wanted people to understand how bad cancer really is
(n/a). Mission Statement and History.n/a.© 2014 The Terry Fox Foundation. 2014. Web. 19 September 2014. <http://www.terryfox.org/TerryFox/Mission_Statement.html >
(other tabs may have been used on this website)
Scrivener,Leslie.How Terry Fox changed Canada.n/a.Sun. 2010. Web. 19 September 2014.
n/a.Terry Fox.n/a. CanadaFAQ. 2014. Web. 19 September 2014. <http://www.canadafaq.ca/terry+fox/>