Buffett Bulletin

September 9, 2020

Big picture
Big picture

Progress Reports

Now is the time to double-check Infinite Campus for any missing assignments!


Teachers are collecting formative and summative grades over this first quarter of remote learning. Progress reports will be printed the week of September 14th. You can check your child's grades on the Parent Portal. If you do not have access to the portal, please contact darci.watkins@ops.org in Buffett's main office.

Standards Based Grading

During the 2017-2018 school year, the Omaha Public Schools updated their grading scale. This scale is still used today. Grades used for students are based on district and state level content standards. The standards are the same across schools within the district, creating common grading practices. The grades show what the students should be able to know and do. Formative grades count for 35% of the overall grade. Summative grades count for the other 65% of the overall grade. Practice assignments do not have an effect on grades.



For more information, click here.

Big picture

Note from Nurse Boyer

All incoming 7th graders are required by the state of Nebraska to have a physical completed after March 1, 2020. This physical can also be used for students interested in participating in athletics for the 2020-2021 school year. The state of Nebraska also requires all incoming 7th graders to have a Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis *Whooping Cough* booster) vaccine. Vaccine information has been updated in Infinite Campus parent portal if you have questions if this information has been recieved by the school. If you have not provided your student's updated immunization record/phyiscal to the school please have this completed as soon as possible. As always, if you have any questions or concerns please reach out to me at tara.boyer@ops.org or via phone at (531)299-2321. Thank you and stay healthy!

Big picture

New Faces of Bobcat Nation!

Big picture
Nicole West is a returning Bobcat! She worked at Buffett for a year when the school first opened and then moved to Washington. Later, she moved to Texas to teach before returning home after the birth of her son. Mrs. West took some time off to raise her son and get her Masters degree from Doane University. In her free time, Mrs. West likes to read Science Fiction novels. She even named her 16-year-old cat, Pixel, after a character in one of the novels she read. Mrs. West is excited to be back at Buffett! Welcome back, Mrs. West!
Big picture

Coming in October!

Big picture
I Love Public School's t-shirt with a Buffett logo on the back will be available for purchase soon! More details are coming.
Big picture
Edutopia came out with an article last week that looks at ways we can help middle schoolers develop self-regulation skills so that they are more successful in remote learning. These are skills that many middle schoolers have not mastered, but there are strategies that can help. Here are some:
Big picture
Big picture

Remote Learning Technology Issues

Click here for Tech TIps and Tricks for Families

Tips and Tricks for Students and Families

Tips for Assisting Your Student in Remote Learning

Refresh Apps

When apps aren't performing the way they should, your first step is to close the app completely and reopen it. To close an app, swipe the app up. Then swipe up again, to fully close apps that are open.


If closing the app doesn't work, try reinstalling the app from the Manager App.

  1. Tap and hold on the app
  2. Choose delete from the popup menu
  3. Open the Manager app
  4. Find the app you deleted
  5. Tap update/reinstall

T-Mobile or Wifi?

The answer is whichever is faster! OPS does have a contract with T-Mobile to ensure all students have access to class content no matter their circumstances.


If you're experiencing any slowness with T-Mobile, you can:

  1. Put your iPad in airplane mode
  2. Wait 10-15 seconds
  3. Take the iPad out of airplane mode
  4. Reconnect to T-Mobile


You can also go to any T-Mobile store to have technicians there assess the iPad's connection.


If you continue to have trouble, you can email buffettstudent-ts@ops.org and provide your asset tag (barcode on your iPad) and your address for us to forward to T-Mobile.

Need to Hand in Some Handwritten Work? Use Office Lens

10-Office Lens-Teams Assignments-Video 10
Big picture

Family Support Center Update

Services Available at the OPS Family Support Center

The following services will be available for families:


· 1 to 1 Technology Support

· Nutrition Services to assist with meal applications and Meals2Go

· Student and Community Services

· Counselors

· Social Workers

· Student Support Liaisons

· Bilingual Liaisons


In addition to in-person supports, we have produced several videos to help families navigate district-provided iPads. To review these resources, click here.

Big picture
Big picture