CHMS Library News
Winter 2015/16, vol. 1
A Change in the Air
We are also adding new services and programs in the coming months. The Library is now on Twitter, where you will be able to get a daily look at life between the stacks. We are also starting a coloring club (they're all the rage!) in January for students and teachers. You can find more information on both of these below.
October & November, by the Numbers
- School Days: 37
- Items Checked Out: 1,213
- Student Sign-ins: 646
- Collaborating Classes: 116
(Photo by huees, via Flickr)
Christmas Amnesty is Coming!
We'll have song sheets available, in case you need a little inspiration.
Book Spotlight: The Boundless, by Kenneth Oppel
Will Everett is living a rags to riches story that now sees him the son of a powerful railroad manager. Riding the greatest train ever built, the Boundless, Will can go anywhere he wants. When he witnesses a murder during one of the stops, however, it's all he can do to stay one step ahead of the killers and protect the train's hidden treasures. With weird creatures both outside and inside the train, Will is going to need some very talented help from a travelling circus in order to keep his life on track.
This is a Black Eyed Susan Award Nominee for this year. Highly recommended!!!
Join the Library Coloring Club!!!
Meetings will happen on the 4th Monday of the month in the library, from 2:40 until 3:30. Please sign up with Mr. Bancells if you want to attend.
- Mr. Bennett--Small group book discussions ; Black Eyed Susan Book Tasting
- Mrs. Blum--Small group math work
- Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Nagle, & Mrs. Rossman--Unit Price project
- Ms. Butera--Keyboarding
- Mrs. Davis--Social Studies digital resources research
- Mrs. Gallaher--Social Studies digital resources research
- Mrs. Gawel--Social Studies digital resources research ; Black Eyed Susan Book Tasting
- Mrs. Hutton--Jumprope demonstrations
- Mrs. Lee--Essay writing & research ; Black Eyed Susan Book Tasting
- Mrs. Pixler--Water Cycle research
- Mrs. Reed--Small group testing
- Mrs. Smith--Small group testing
- Mrs. Stauffer--TRAILS Library Skills Assessment ; Black Eyed Susan Book Tasting
- Mrs. Tocyloski--Social Studies digital resources research
- Mrs. Weaber--Social Studies digital resources research ; Black Eyed Susan Book Tasting
- Mrs. Wein & Mrs. McBride--Black Eyed Susan Book Tasting
The Library is on Twitter!
Student Policy Reminders
- Students can check out 2 books at a time (6th graders are limited to 1 until Oct. 1)
- Books are due after 3 weeks (21 days)
- Magazines can be checked out for 5 school days
- Nook e-readers circulate for 2 weeks
- Overdue Fines are 10 cents per day, per item (except for Nooks--$1 per day)
- There are a variety of ways to pay off an overdue fine, including Cougar Cash & canned goods.
- Students can earn 1 Cougar Cash by turning their item in before the due date.
- Students can earn 3 Cougar Cash by writing a review of their book and turning it in to Mr. Bancells
- Students can recommend awesome books to their peers by turning in books to the Awesome Book Bin on the circulation counter.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Mr. Bancells is the CHMS librarian, and pretty darn excited for the new Star Wars movie. He's not saying this is his house...he's not saying it's not either. ;-)
He is also the author of the content above and can be reached using any of the methods below.