Our Sunday School Class
Where we love the sinner, hate the sin, and seek His kingdom
Prayer Requests June 9, 2013
- Dave- traveling to DC with Uncle Hank. Pray for smooth flying, passing security with oxygen, Hank's strength
- Cindy- sell the RH house; Brooke and Cindy will be traveling to Savannah and Charleston
- Emily- Chris was called by BMW for interview and tests for their scholarship, pray for the process
- Ed- sell RH house; traveling to Charleston for a class on Tuesday and College of Charleston on Wednesday.
- PRAISE- Adam is home for two weeks!
His Hands and Feet
May 23 ~ Kim and Tammy
May 30 ~ Carman and Pam
June 6 ~ Lisa B. and Emily
June 13 ~ Carman and Kim
June 20 ~
Summer Ministry Opportunities
- June/July (date TBD) provide Brian and Xan a romantic evening dinner cruise for their anniversary
- date TBD - help Anne and Scott with her mother's move
- June 29 ~ well filter change (Ed has details)
- June 29 ~ tub faucet changed (Ed has details)
- June 29 ~ meet at 9:30 at James' house to help with railings (?)
Notes From Today's Lesson (my version...feel free to disagree or correct me)
Romans 5: 12-14
Putting a level on a table does not level the table,it only measures whether or not the table is level. Once you use the tool, you have a standard or benchmark. The law is like the level. The law is used to measure the actions. The level/law makes things clear. Cannot argue with the tool. The tool has no power to fix the problem. The hydraulic jack (Jesus) has the power to fix it.
Romans 5:15-21; 8:1-2
Illustration: one drop of poison in a vat of water, permeates the entire vat. One man, Adam, affected the whole world. Turn it around, one drop of pure water will not clean up a vat of poison. Jesus CAN clean up the whole vat. What Jesus did, He did for the whole batch...the whole container.
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
We don't need the level any more. Jesus did His work. We have been set free from the law (level). Jesus did the work to set us free.
Jesus' cleansing is not temporary like the system of sacrificing animals. The sacrifice of Jesus was sufficient for all people for all of time. We have a tendency to work for things that we don't need to work for....we have trouble accepting the gift without working.
Next Week's Lesson (Let Doug know what you think of the new information.)
Summary and Goal
Near the end of his life, the apostle Paul wrote letters to Timothy and Titus, two of his most trusted children in the faith, instructing them in their efforts to model the Good Shepherd who guides His people into the knowledge of truth. In these letters, we learn much about what is expected from our pastors today. We also learn how to pray for and support these pastors given to us by God to lead us.
Steps to Prepare
Read all of the pastoral epistles (1–2 Timothy; Titus), and then revisit the main passages for this week’s study:
1 Timothy 4:11-16
2 Timothy 4:1-8
1. Shepherds serve God’s people by embodying the truth they proclaim (1 Tim. 4:11-16).
2. Shepherds serve God’s people by preaching truth, even when it is costly (2 Tim. 4:1-8).
3. God’s people follow the shepherd by submitting to God’s Word (Titus 2:11-14).
Calendar of Events
- June 20 (THursday) We are providing drinks (NOT carbonated), ice, fruit, and cookies or popsicles for World Changers. 150 Johnston St. City Building
- June 21-22 Wildfire Men's Impact weekend with Jase and Willie Robertson of Duck Dynasty and Tim Tebow. See Tammy at email@example.com for details/registrationJune 30~Annual CELEBRATION OF FREEDOM 9:00 and 10:45
- June/July (TBD) Chace anniversary sunset dinner
- June 29- well filter change, tub faucet change, meet at 9:30 at James' to help with railings
- Dec. 14 Soup Kitchen