Westridge Wildcat News
May 20, 2022
Message from the Principal
Dear Westridge Community,
The sunshine today and the forecast for the coming days has me reflecting on sunny days at Westridge, or what is going well. This time of year there is so much to celebrate. For example, the Carnival last Friday was a huge success. Along with that, students are attending field trips for the first time in years, they are learning about cooperation, they are filling buckets, and they are making the most of every moment we have left together!
In addition to the list above, we are looking forward to many sunny days ahead. There is so much more to look forward to as well. We have Field Day on the 7th, the 5th Grade Play on the 2nd, and the 5th Grade Celebration on the 9th.
Save the Dates!
5/25: 5th graders visit to LMS 9:15 am-11:00 am
5/25: 1st Grade Field Trip - Zoo
5/27: No School (Grading day)
5/30: Memorial Day - No School
6/6: 4th Grade Field Trip- Philip Foster Farm
6/8: 3rd Grade Field Trip - Willamette Jet Boats
6/8: 5th grade Sneak!
6/9: 5th Grade Celebration at 10:30
6/10: Last day of school - Early dismissal at 11:00am
Westridge 5th Grade Celebration: Vaccinations and Exemptions
We are looking forward to celebrating your child with you at our end-of-year 5th grade celebration. To ensure that all may participate, LOSD is making an exception for end-of-year ceremonies and accepting exemption requests for unvaccinated adults to attend their child’s ceremony.
For any adult in your family who plans to attend the ceremony and is not vaccinated for COVID-19, please submit an exemption form along with a photo of your negative test to Jodi Steward email@example.com by June 8. We will not be able to collect exemption forms and tests at the ceremony. Thank you!
Field Trip Chaperones/Volunteers:
Also, the district requires that ALL volunteers complete the Statement of Understanding prior to your volunteer shift or field trip.
Volunteers needed for next year!
Lakeridge Youth Cheer - Parent Meeting on 5/24
STEM Author Event
Audrey Sauble is a self-published children's STEM author, a student at PSU as well as a talented artist. She will read her newest book in honor of National Pollinators Week and I am sure that your K-4th graders will enjoy it very much.
"We are pleased to offer this author event FREE to the public being hosted at the BOOKtique (by the Friends of the Lake Oswego Public Library) located at 4 Monroe Pkwy on June 23rd at 11am. Please call the store to register (503) 699-9109."
Link to event:
COVID 19 Reported Cases Update
State Assessment Score Reports
This summer, LOSD will deliver students’ state assessment results online through ParentVUE rather than mailing paper. This is in keeping with the district’s strategic goal of sustainability and mirrors how we deliver report cards. Your child’s assessment reports will appear on your ParentVUE Documents page in late July. As you review your student’s English Language Arts, math, and science scores, please keep in mind:
- An achievement level of 3 or 4 is considered to be on track for the student’s grade level.
- Scores on state assessments are only one measure of a student’s academic progress. We use these scores in conjunction with classroom work and other daily, weekly, monthly, and term assessments to understand your student’s strengths and areas for improvement.
Beginning April 29, LOSD needs parents/guardians of all students enrolled for the 2022-23 school year to log into ParentVUE and review/update your students' information through the Register/Verify tab. This benefits both families and schools by:
• Ensuring that schools have accurate information to reach parents and other contacts in both emergency and non-emergency situations. Verification is important even if your address or contact information has not changed over the past year because the school may have incorrect information from a previous year.
• Confirming parent email addresses for Google Classroom and other applications to participate in your student's learning.
• Enabling distribution of key information in the district's K-12 Family Handbook.
If you have forgotten your ParentVUE password, go to the login page, click "I am a Parent," then click "Forgot Password." If you are unsure whether you have a ParentVUE account, contact your student's school. For assistance with the verification process, refer to the user guide on the LOSD website or contact your student's school.
Not attending Westridge next year?
If your student will be attending a school other than Westridge (or Lakeridge Middle School), please email Andrea Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Volunteering at Westridge:
In order to volunteer, please make sure you have the following on record with the school:
- Show or email your vaccination card to Jodi Steward or Andrea Murphy (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Complete the Statement of Understanding prior to your volunteer shift
- Register with Raptor by bringing your photo ID into the office. (If you've registered in years prior, you do not need to do it again)
If you need to pick your child up early from school, please let the teacher and the office know ahead of time.
Parents-guardians who have concerns about a student’s well-being are encouraged to reach out to their principal, and to maintain strong lines of communication and partnership between students, families, staff, and other resources.
SafeOregon is also an effective way to report a tip regarding safety threats or potential acts of violence to our students or schools.
(Students should also be aware that intentionally providing a false report is a serious offense.)