By: McKenna Copeland Hour: 7
FOODS IN THE GRAINS GROUPS
- Whole Rye
WHAT IS AN OUNCE?
- 1 regular slice of bread
- 3 cups of popped popcorn
- 1 small flour tortilla (6" diameter)
- Vitamin B- Helps the body release energy from protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
- Dietary fiber- May help reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
- Iron- Used to carry oxygen in the blood.
- Consuming whole grains as part of a healthy diet may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Eating foods containing fiber as part of a healthy diet, may reduce constipation.
- May help with weight management.
- Eating grain products fortified with folate before and during pregnancy helps prevent neural tube defects during fetal development.
- On the Nutrition label look for whole grain products with a higher % Daily Value for fiber
- Use the Nutrition Facts label to choose foods with a lower % DV for sodium.
- Foods labeled with the words "multi-grain," "stone-ground," "100% wheat," "cracked wheat," "seven-grain," or "bran" are usually not whole-grain products.
- Read the ingredient list to see if it is a whole grain.
FOOD LABEL TIPS
- Color is not an indication of a whole grain.
- Use the Nutrition Facts label and choose whole grain products with a higher % Daily Value for fiber.