Weekly Newsletter - February 1, 2020
celebrating 25 years of excellence in catholic education
Theme for the Year: Goodness
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
I hope you have all enjoyed the last day of Catholic Schools Week 2020: Celebrating Families. The National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) states, "Parents, guardians and other family members play a vital role in Catholic education. Not only do they volunteer at the school, they instill values and expectations for academic excellence in their children at home. We acknowledge the role of families in Catholic education and celebrate their contributions to the success of our schools on the last day of National Catholic Schools Week, and all year long."
We are not St. Joseph Catholic School without the support of our families. Thank you for all you do to enrich our school. Just as the people are the Church, the families are the school. Your contributions help create the culture and climate our students enjoy today. May God continue to bless all of you, and to bless St. Joseph Catholic School.
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Goodness Bible Verse for January
New saintly quote to ponder
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love. - St. Basil
Latin and greek roots challenge
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Preschool and Kindergarten Shadow Day - Monday, February 3rd beginning at 9:00 am. Please tell your friends!
- First through Eighth Grade Shadow Day - Tuesday, February 4th from 8:00 am. Please tell your friends! (See image below for more details on both days).
- NJHS Bake Sale - Please support the NJHS bake sale to occur during lunch period Wednesday and Thursday. Everything will be $0.50.
- NJHS Food Collection at Mass - This Wednesday, February 5th, the St. Vincent de Paul Society of St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish will be accepting the following donations: paper towels (critical), toilet paper (critical), toothbrushes (critical), toothpaste, shampoo (both men's and women's), canned fruit (no cranberry sauce at this time), and bath soap bars. They are so grateful for your support!
- Progress Reports - Emailed on Wednesday, February 5th.
- First Friday Mass and Early Dismissal - This Friday, February 7th the students will attend First Friday Mass and have a noon dismissal. Please send your children in their dress uniforms to school this day. There will be NO LUNCHES served on this day.
- 8th Grade Garage Sale - Begins Friday, February 7th. Check out the details below. Thank you for supporting the Class of 2020!
- Re-enrollment for 2020-2021 School Year concludes - Friday, February 7th. Please refer to the information packet sent home this past week for more details.
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Why First Friday Mass?
Upcoming Shadow Days
8th grade fundraiser
Save the date
Faith Extension Day is back, April 3rd!
Check out this video to see Faith Extension Day in action!
Annual Fund Campaign
"Quest For excellence"
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Upcoming HSA Spirit Night - February 4th at McAlister's Deli, located at 137 Merchant's Row, Suite 101 in Arlington. Come enjoy food and fellowship to raise money for the school! The event runs from 5:00PM-10:00PM.
- Our next Home and School Association (HSA) Meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 19th at 7:00 pm in the school cafeteria. We hope you can attend!
- The children of HSA Members who have paid their dues to join, and are able to attend the monthly meetings, are allowed to wear any SJCS spirit shirt purchased through the school with blue jeans and tennis shoes of their choice to school on the Thursday after the meeting!
HSA Spirit Night Contest
This year we are having a Spirit Night Contest!
The class that has the most attendance for Spirit Nights will win an ICE CREAM Sundae Party!
Each teacher will be given an envelope to keep the receipts and it is easy to participate!
Three Easy Steps:
1. Attend a Spirit Night
2. Save your receipt
3. Turn the receipt in to your teacher (if multiple students turn in their receipt to one teacher, be sure to write all the students' names on the receipt)
Knights in Action!
Catholic Schools Week 2020
Monday Morning Prayer Service
Lunar New Year
8th Grade vs Faculty and staff volleyball game
Moments Around Campus
Flag Retirement Ceremony
Art this Week
Mr. Suarez shared some SJCS artworks celebrating Chinese New Year 2020, “YEAR OF THE RAT,”designed by 4th Grade, 5th Grade and 7th Grade students in his Art classes.
Moments in the Community
Newly Updated STREAM Wish list
STREAM Enrichment would love to have these items donated for your children's use.
Popsicle sticks (big and small) (colored and plain)
Open House brought many alumni back to SJCS! Thank you for coming!
It's always great to have you back.
Meet our Dominican Sisters!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.