Happenings @ the Hill
Volume 2, Issue 11
Some Reminders/Events for this Week
Tuesday - FLEX (Web Leaders Training) / Disc Golf Club - after school
Wednesday - Stay FLEX - WEB Day for 6th Grade / Wear Pink / Football - GHMS v. ILMS @ 5pm
Thursday - FLEX (8th Grade Brief Beta Club Meeting for current BETA members to plan for this year's BETA Induction) / 8th Grade Band Night @ FMHS Stadium 6:20pm-7:30pm
Friday - OBOS Day 19 / $1 Hat Day!
UpStanders Club Update
We had an awesome turnout of students interested in joining Upstanders! Due to the high numbers at the informational meeting, we would like students to fill out a short application so that we know how many students are still interested. This group meets every first and third Wednesday during FLEX. Students applying need to understand that they will be giving up FLEX time to work on Upstanders' projects on those two Wednesdays each month. The projects address issues and topics that the students choose. If your student would like to apply, please go to this link. While we would love every student at GHMS to be an Upstander, this particular group will have a max of 25-30 students so that Mrs. Harms can work with them to insure their ideas and projects are successful!
If your student isn't selected, Mrs. Harms will reach out to him/her to see if s/he would like to still be involved throughout the year by signing up to be door greeters or participate in other projects when possible.
Upcoming 8th Grade Theater Production @ GHMS
Pink Out Month @ GHMS, continues
GHMS Celebrates Our Veterans / Theme: Voices of Our Veterans
We hope to honor and serve those who have served our country with a gesture of a family mealtime breakfast. Family meals provide an opportunity for family members to come together, build community and belonging, as well as establish bonds and learn together. We hope we will have many of our community Veterans join us.
Please complete this form if you are a Veteran.
PTA Updates and Information
- Packets with information about our biggest fundraiser for the year - the Armchair fundraiser - as well as Bulldog Ice last chance orders, Loyalty programs, Charlotte Checkers event and our community partners came home with every student on Friday.
- We are only half way to our goal of $14,000 for our Armchair Fundraiser. This is our major fundraiser for the year. Please visit our website or see the attached flyer for more details. http://www.ghmspta.org. These packets also have an envelope to submit your donation.
- You could be a winner - Be sure to look for the attached picture on your packet envelope. If your PTA packet has one of these stamps and the words 'You're a winner', please reach out to Carrie Shearin (firstname.lastname@example.org). There are four packets that have this stamp and winners can choose between a $20 gift card to be used for spirit wear or Bulldog Ice for the remainder of the year. You do not have to submit your envelope or purchase anything in order to win.
Bulldog Ice Last Chance Orders - We are offering one more opportunity to order Bulldog Ice for the remainder of the year. Deadline is October 21st. Visit our website under the fundraising page for more details. http://www.ghmspta.org
October Spirit Nights
- October 16th, 4 pm - 8 pm, Dairy Queen
- October 26th, 6 pm, Charlotte Checkers Event
- Flyer attached with all of the details
- Enter to win a chance to ride on the Zamboni at half time! Visit our website for more details www.ghmspta.org
Pink Out Shirts - We have limited amount of shirts for sale in the Dawg Pound on Tuesdays and Thursdays. More sizes are arriving on Thursday - $10 each.
Book Fair Volunteers Needed - November 18th - 20th
September Students (Bulldogs) of the Month - Character Trait: Being Proactive / For the Month of October, our staff is looking for those Bulldogs who are best demonstrating the trait of "Determination - Beginning with the End in Mind"
You Be the Chemist
The You Be the Chemist school level challenge will be held on Wednesday, 10/30/19, in the cafeteria during FLEX. The competition is different this year. Instead of competing individually, students will be in teams of 4. Please have your student see Mrs. Taylor if interested. Below are links to the website with study materials.
Upcoming Spirit Days for the 8th Grade Washington DC Trip
- October 30th @ Sonic 5pm-8pm (Place receipt in bucket at registers inside dining area.)
- November 20th @ Dairy Queen 5pm-8pm
Dates to Take Note Of:
October 16th - PSAT (optional) for 8th graders
October 17th - Q1 Incentive Day (Bring $ for Concessions)
October 18th - No School (Staff and Student Holiday)
October 21st - Teacher Work Day
October 22nd - Mix It Up Day @ Lunches
October 23rd - End of 1st Quarter / October House Meeting Day
October 24th - 6th Graders change Related Arts classes (except Band and PE)
October 25th - PTA Bulldog Ice Day @ Lunches
October 31st - 8th Grade Guest Speaker @ GHMS / Report Cards Going Home
November 1st - Athletic Boosters Club Kickball Tournament during Related Arts
November 11th - Veterans Day Breakfast in Cafeteria (RSVP required)November 14th - Night of Invention for 6th Grade (Times to be Confirmed)
Links to Quotes and Fun Friday Jokes
https://forms.gle/UxP8N7JeNzPF7ZJs5 Fun Friday Joke Form Link
https://forms.gle/UMezZXdxH9dmSMX67 Quote Form Link
Basketball Tryouts (7th and 8th Graders)
Basketball tryouts will run November 4th – 7th
Nov 4th and 5th
Girls - after school 'til 5:00pm
Boys - 5:00pm to 7:00pm
Nov 6th and 7th
Boys - after school 'til 5:00pm
Girls - 5:00pm to 7:00pm
Students wanting to tryout need to have their information uploaded into PlanetHS in order to tryout. Information on how to upload forms is on Gold Hill’s Athletic Website. https://www.fortmillathletics.com/page/show/514738-gold-hill-ms
Don't let this be you! (Pre-Order Deadline is May 1st! - If you do not order a yearbook by then, you are not guaranteed to get one.)
Add the yearbook to your cart using the Pay Fees tab in the right hand corner of webpage.
Eighth grade ads ON SALE NOW! Contact Ms. Shrum for details @ email@example.com
Fort Mill App - Your One Stop Shop!
Thank you to our PTA Sponsors!
Dr. Jackson is our Athletic Boosters Leader of the Pack.
My Vision for Gold Hill Middle School
Gold Hill Middle School will be a school where all students learn as a result of our teaching talent and the positive human connection that leaves us feeling safe, loved, valued, heard, and respected. #BulldogsLEAD
· Love to learn
· Engage our minds and hearts
· Achieve our goals together
· Do what we say we are
Let’s all be #differencemakers this year!