Elementary Math Update
"May the 4th Be With you"
A Testing Season Soltuion
Maverick Burrell: JV Washam Elementary
Teachers use them whenever they choose in the instructional day. Maverick was so inspired that he decided to help Susan out with the creation of these tasks! What I really love about this story is how Maverick's math ideas were engaged so much so that he sought to engage his classmates!
Way to go Maverick! Take that, testing season!
Tweeter of the Month
Christopher Danielson @triangleman
Let's Listen to Our Students!
Planning for Next Year
- Math Meet-ups Meet-ups are all the rage these days. Maybe a few interested minds could plan to meet at a local eatery and do some brainstorming and planning. Count me in!
- Master Schedule Are you the scheduler at your school? Do you need help or ideas? Respond to one of my mass messages on the list serve and title it "looking for master schedule ideas". 100 brains are better than 1 right?
- Intervention How did it go this year? What plans do you have to improve your processes? How do you structure it? Inquiring minds want to know...I want to know! If you want to know too, let me know. I may be able to organize a gathering for people who have common needs, to collaborate.
- Summer Reading I am IN LOVE with the Developing Essential Understanding Series by NCTM and have plans to engage my teachers over the summer in preparation for the new year. Let me know if you are interested in knowing more about why and how I am thinking about doing this.
Ed Camp QC: See you there!
EVERYONE IS INVITED
I shared with some of you that even as the "district math specialist" (insert dramatic voiceover) I experience great anxiety when publicly thinking about math. Often times one of you will say "ask Kaneka, she's the specialist surely she will know". The truth is that no one person knows all the time. The key is being open and willing to think about things.
- In your sites are you viewed as the resident expert, all knowing, omnipotent math genius?
- What can you do to share your influence?
- Can you empower others in their ability?
This has been our goal as CMS math specialists. The video to the talk is above this article. A movement is taking place across the "twitosphere" around empowering and inviting others. Let's get it started in CMS!!!