September 9, 2021
A Note from Ms. Owens
It's hard to believe we are finishing up our third week of the school year! I love to visit classrooms and see students engaged in learning - adding and subtracting mixed numbers, making corrections to their daily oral language sentences, working together to clean up a particular learning station, practicing their letter recognition skills, or working through a cardio routine.
I am excited to share that Ms. Julie Allpow will be serving as a long-term substitute for our music classes. Ms. Allpow worked with our 4th grade classes earlier this year and she brings with her a love of music!
On a more mundane, but important note, some families may have noted that our 3rd-8th grade students did not have grades posted as they normally do. Teachers were not able to access our gradebook platform, and last week, we learned that our gradebook platform would no longer receive any technical support if we encountered problems. As of this week, I am happy to share that all 3rd-8th teachers have been inserviced on our updated gradebook platform and teachers have begun posting grades for completed work. PowerSchool login information for parents and students will remain the same.Thank you for your patience in this endeavor.
A Bit More News
- The Charger Walk-a-thon is back! T-shirt order forms and payment are due Friday, September 10.
- Next Wednesday, September 15, we have our first 1PM Early Dismissal Wednesday. After care will be available.
- This month's Tuition Exclusion Day is September 20.
- Our parish Children's Choir and Bell Chimers are both starting up this year. Please scroll down for information and to sign up your children. Practices for Children's Choir have been moved to Tuesdays!
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Please continue to pray for our medical professionals, our first responders and our essential front line workers as they work to ensure the health and safety of our larger community.
CDPH Travel Advisory/Quarantine States - as of 9/8
- All unvaccinated individuals who travel to an orange state must provide proof of a negative Covid test in order to return to school.
- The test must be administered no more than 72-hours prior to return to Illinois.
- The test can also be administered once you have returned to Illinios.
- Home administered tests are not accepted.
The Charger Walk-a-thon Returns!
The School Advisory Board is happy to announce the return of the Charger Walk-A-Thon for our student body on Friday, October 8th!
- Walk-A-Thon T-shirts will be sold.
- Each shirt will be $20 per student which includes one dress down pass to be used on any future date (except Fridays).
- Non-student/family members can purchase additional t-shirts for $10 each as well.
- Please complete the attached Walk-A-Thon T-shirt Order Form for your family and submit payment to the school in envelope labeled "Walk-A-Thon" by Friday, September 10th. (A hard copy went home in last week's White Envelope.)
T-shirt order forms and payment are due Friday, September 10!
Please stay tuned for more details. If you have any questions please reach out to Katie Fitzpatrick-Terrill, Karen Brogan, Courtney Hedderman, or Janna Ferriter.
Bitty Basketball for Grades 1, 2, and 3
Bitty Basketball is back and will begin on Friday, September 17, 2021. Registration will close on Tuesday, September 14. Registration will be $50 per athlete and can be sent to school in an envelope labeled Athletic Board or turned in at the concession stand on the first night of practice. Games will be held on Friday nights at 6, 7 and 8 pm. Each night will be a 20 minute practice followed by a game. We will play into November as dates allow.
- This league is for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade boys and girls.
- They teams are equally divided based on the age level and boy/girl.
- Please be sure to identify if you are interested in coaching a team.
Please complete the Google Form below for each child you are registering.
***Masks must be worn by all players and spectators while in the gym and school building.***
Update to Parent-Student Handbook
Here is the language you will find in the the parent-student handbook.
Students are not permitted to use or possess cannabis in Chicago Archdiocesan schools except in accordance with the law, school policy and permission of the superintendent. If a parent/guardian of a student who demonstrates his/her son or daughter is a “registered qualifying patient” and has an individual who is a “registered designated caregiver,” both of whom hold medical cannabis registry identification cards, then the parent/guardian or registered designated caregiver must be permitted to administer a medical cannabis product to the student (non-smoking/non-vaping form) at school.
The Sunday Collection
Visit the link below to set up your recurring contribution. Donors can change the amount of the contribution or pause it at any time.
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
This full-service fencing company is owned by an SCA family.
This certified public accounting firm is owned by an SCA family.
So Many On-going Ways to Support St. Catherine!
Friday, September 10
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30AM
Saturday, September 11
- Charger Crawl
Tuesday, September 14
- Beyond the Books starts
Wednesday, September 15
- Dismissal at 1PM (Faculty PD; aftercare available)
- School Spirit Day
Friday, September 17
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30AM
Monday, September 20
- Tuition Exclusion Day
Thursday, September 23
- Dress Down to Fight Childhood Cancer ($1 donation requested)
Friday, September 24
- No school for students - Professional Development for Faculty
Tuesday, September 28
- Fall Picture Day for PK-8