ADMINISTRATOR SMOOTS MESSAGE
I am glad you're here! My hope is that you find this monthly newsletter to be full of information and resources to help you in your day-to-day journey throughout the school year. I will provide updates and highlights from the programs, initiatives, and celebrations going on throughout the year.
A lot of information is included in our monthly VLA Archives Newsletter, and this is done so that you can come back to one location to find shared information. Please be sure to read through all of the information so that we are all informed. I am fortunate to work in a district that believes in cultivating, inspiring, and empowering our most precious gifts-our students.
OUR TEAM IS GROWING
MEET MRS. CLOUSE
Hello, my name is Cindy Clouse, and I am the mathematics teacher for the Virtual Learning Academy. I’m very excited to get this opportunity to teach virtual school, as I have been training for it my whole life! I attended California State Polytechnic School, Pomona, where I earned a B.S. in Mathematics, a secondary teaching credential, and an M.A. in Educational Computer Technology. I wrote my thesis about how teachers could use internet resources in their classrooms, and this was so long ago that the world wide web wasn’t invented yet!! I’ve always been a math teacher first and foremost, with technology as part of my many secondary duties.
I was born in California and lived there almost my whole life, working for Chino Valley Unified School District for much of my career. Recently I’ve also taught at Ojai Valley School, School Year Abroad in France, and the DOD virtual school. I am here in North Carolina with my husband, who is stationed at Camp Lejeune with the U.S. Coast Guard. We live in Jacksonville with our three beautiful dogs, while our three adult children live in California. For entertainment, I like to travel, cook, garden, play on my computer, code, and read tons of books. We traveled to Iceland in August (ask me to see my volcano videos).
MEET MRS. BROWN-HICKS
BA Business Administration
MA Educational Technology
(Both from NCCU)
Interests: Photography, Canvas Art, & Traveling
Personality traits: quiet, but not shy, omnivert (extroverted introvert)
Pronouns: she/ her
- We still have students not working independently on their NCVPS courses. Please take advantage of the Virtual Buddy and Peer-Tutoring opportunities offered through NCVPS. Parent resources are available here.
- It is imperative that students also log in to their VLA classes daily engaged and ready to work. Students are expected to complete homework assignments for each of their classes.
- Although we cannot mandate students to turn on their cameras we strongly encouraged each of them to do so. Moving forward the revised contract will speak to cameras and student participation.
- On November 16, 2021 (Global Teen Wellness Hour) 1:00-2:00 pm, students will miss 3rd period but will return to 4th period.
- Thank you to all the Sophomores who completed the PRE ACT, it was so great to see all of your lovely faces.
- Mrs. Smoots will be sending out an interest survey to the students which will cover clubs and quarterly celebration ideas.
- Parents please join remind to receive instant messages from Mrs. Smoots.
- Students, please join remind if you have not done so already to receive instant messages from Mrs. Smoots.
SPRING REGISTRATION IS COMPLETE
HERO OF THE MONTH
GLOBAL TEEN WELLNESS HOUR
Tuesday, Nov. 16th, 1pm
This is an online event.
Global Teen Wellness Hour is a virtual assembly that will educate, engage and entertain students.
Hosted by Dr. D-Nice Beaugelin, adolescent wellness specialist
Lucas Griffin, public health expert and teen advocate with
Special guest: Dame Dash, cofounder of Roc-A-Fella Records and entrepreneur.
We will talk with students on how the pandemic has affected teen health and wellness by getting to hear from five teen representatives and Dr. D-Nice Beaugelin, an expert in the field of adolescent wellness.
We want teens to be engaged and be a part of the conversation.
The hour will feature the premier showing of Wisdomteethinger, a show starring the teens that aims to educate, while entertaining and educating students with relevant topics and get them excited about health and wellness.
Join 5 unique teens and an expert in the field for an hour you won’t regret attending!
GLOBAL TEEN WELLNESS HOUR AGENDA
Teen Representatives Speak
Q & A with Special Guest Dame Dash
Premier of Wisdomteethinger Show
About the Wisdomteethinger TV show
A wellness show for anyone in their teens or early twenties:
This show is all about wellness and wisdom packaged in a entertaining, engaging and entertaining way
Think Dr. Oz meets In Living Color meets Saved by the Bell
Dr. Oz in that Dr. D-Nice is the main mentor and she is a medical doctor board certified in Internal Medicine and Lifestyle medicine
In Living Color in that it is a variety show with many engaging segments
Saved By the Bell in that there are 5 diverse teens that star in the show with Dr. D-Nice
See behind the scenes and show trailers on Instagram: Wisdomteethinger
Find us at https://www.wisdomteethinger.com/
Dr. D-Nice Beaugelin
The Voice of Youth Wellness
Founder of Wisdomteethinger
Follow me on Instagram @dr.dnicebeaugelin
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- NCVPS PROGRESS REPORTS- NOVEMBER 4TH, 18TH
- REPORT CARDS- NOVEMBER 5TH
- GLOBAL TEEN WELLNESS HOUR- NOVEMBER 16, 2021 AT 1:00 PM (SCHOOL WIDE ASSEMBLY)
- THANKSGIVING BREAK- NOVEMBER 22ND-26TH