What's Going On in the Library?
Family Voting is Open for Mock Caldecott
The American Library Association has already awarded the official 2017 Caldecott Medal to the artist of "the most distinguished American picture book for children." Who will win at Oak Lawn? First- and second-graders listened to and discussed a slew of books, and we are voting on the four finalists that made it through our "primaries."
DonorsChoose.com is a site that lets teachers post projects they need funding for; anything from pencils to computers to field trips. I have submitted several book requests over the past year and a half, which have all been completed, including:
- Mock Caldecott titles (see above!)
- Rhode Island Childrens Book Award nominees (2017 voting starts next week)
- American Library Association award winners (2017 fully funded today!)
- Lunch Lady graphic novels (can't keep them on the shelf)
- Babymouse and Squish graphic novels
- Graphic novels with girl heroines
- Magazine subscriptions
Thanks to the Oak Lawn families who have contributed to these projects. You can check in on the latest requests at my page.
What We're Covering This Month
I'm working on getting all of my lessons and resources online via the LibGuide platform. I also post photos of students and their work on our blog. In addition to Mock Caldecott for Grades 1 and 2, here's what we're currently learning about: