A Publication of St. Gabriel the Archangel School 12/8/2021
Dear Fabulous Families -
- We celebrate the Feast of the Immaculate Conception today!
- Thank you for donating toys to Whole Kids Outreach. Your generosity will benefit many children in Missouri.
- All Christmas gift card orders are due by Monday, December 13, at 10:00 am. See below in the newsletter for details.
- Your prayers for the Italiano Family are greatly appreciated. The website for the Kutis Funeral Home is here: https://www.kutisfuneralhomes.com/italiano-robert-natale/ As indicated, donations to the ALS Foundation are welcome (als.org). You and your family are invited to send a card to school and we will ensure Gail receives it. Knowing that grief does not just occur on the day of a funeral, the school community will be invited to support Gail in the coming months. She is being encouraged to be at home with her family in the coming weeks. We send a special thank you to supportive parent /grandparent volunteers who are helping to cover the office & some classes so that staff members can attend the funeral. Others prefer to attend the wake. We respect the different ways people may want to support someone who is grieving.
- If you have an interest in helping to cover a class should the need arise in the future, please fill out this survey: Parent/Grandparent Survey
- All of the children who received the Pfizer 5-11 year vaccine #1 on the November 19th were scheduled for #2 on December 10th already, so there is no need for a sign up.
- If there is any adult who would like to receive the Moderna booster shot on December 10, please use the link here: Moderna Booster Shot Sign-Up
- As we have shared with our older students, parents are welcome to voluntarily send in a copy of their child's vaccination card or a photo of it to Nurse Ciegel at email@example.com. This will help us quickly figure out who may need to quarantine and who will not need to quarantine due to being a close contact. Many times cases occur on the weekends or we get word of a case in the evenings. Having this information at our fingertips leads to quicker decisions about who may need to stay home the next day or who may return to school.
- We would like your feedback as we attempt to create a safe, tiered, phase-in to "normal" plan for second semester. If you would like to participate in this anonymous survey (email addresses are not being collected), please do so by Friday, December 17. Phase-in to "Normal" Survey
Peace and Joy -
St. Gabriel the Archangel
St. Gabriel the Archangel
Perhaps your child likes to "play school" and would love to have a few in the basement or maybe your child needs a place to study in their room and thinks their school desk fits the bill. Do you know an organization who would benefit from a couple desks or a dozen desks? We are giving these desks away for free to make way for some new movable furniture purchased with EANS money.
Please let us know if you would like a desk as well as how many you would like by filling out
this form by next Wednesday, December 15:
We will contact you about pick-up.
Happy Advent! Thanks to our 4th grade homerooms that are leading the daily Jesse Tree prayers for school.
If you are interested in receiving a short daily reflection as part of your Advent practice, I find that the Jesuit's have one that often gives me food for thought. Here is a link:
In December, we focus and learn about the Catholic Social Teaching of:
Rights and Responsibilities
We are called to protect the rights that all people have to those things required for a decent human life, such as food, clothing, and shelter.
Please pray for Pope Francis' intention for December:
We pray for catechists, summoned to announce the Word of God: may they be its witnesses, with courage and creativity and in the power of the Holy Spirit.
Our toy drive for Whole Kids Outreach was a huge success. Thanks to our John House members for organizing the collection and for their leadership! We were happy to welcome Mrs. Connie Lanaghan to our all school Mass last week to share with our students about the WKO ministry.
Here is a link for information on the organization:
Act of Contrition
My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against You, whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy. Amen.
Important Dates for Sacraments:
First Communion Parent Meeting- Thursday, April 7th, at 6:30 pm in church
First Communion- Sunday, May 1st at 2:00 pm
Tuesday, April 26- Confirmation Day of Prayer
Thursday, April 28- Confirmation at 7:00 pm Mass at SGA
We continue to celebrate our Thursday, All School Masses, on the school parking lot. It is our hope to hold our all school Masses outside as the weather permits so that we can gather in a safe way.
For our level Masses on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, we have changed from rotating two grade levels at a time to having one grade level attending at a time so students can be safely distanced. The grade level of the homeroom that is planning will be in attendance at the Mass. The schedule below is updated to reflect this new change. Parents are always welcome to join us for Mass.
Wednesday, 12/8 No School- Feast of the Immaculate Conception
Thursday, 12/9 6J
Tuesday, 12/14 1C
Wednesday, 12/15 7M
Thursday, 12/16 4P
Tuesday, 1/4 3B
Wednesday, 1/5 8R
Thursday, 1/6 5G
Tuesday, 1/11 2O
Wednesday, 1/12 6B
Thursday, 1/13 4M
Tuesday, 1/18 4S
Wednesday, 1/19 5S
Thursday, 1/20 Jude House
Tuesday, 1/25 1M
Wednesday, 1/26 7E
Thursday, 1/27 3P
Peace and blessings!
Coordinator of Religious Education
Year at a Glance
December 8- Feast of the Immaculate Conception - Holy Day - NO SCHOOL
December 15- Virtual Vocal Concert - A link will be sent out to families
December 16- Band Concert for band families (See email from Sr. Gail)
December 20- January 2- NO SCHOOL- Christmas Break
January 3- School Resumes
January 14- Teacher Planning and Collaboration - NOON DISMISSAL
January 17- Martin Luther King Jr. Day- NO SCHOOL
January 30-February 5 - Catholic Schools Week
January 30- Catholic Schools Week - Prospective Student Open House
January 31- Catholic Schools Week - Writing Celebrations, 7:30 am - 8:30 am
February 4- Catholic Schools Week- NOON DISMISSAL
February 14- Valentine's Day- Valentine Parties @ 2:05
February 18- Teacher Planning and Collaboration - NOON DISMISSAL
February 21- Presidents' Day- NO SCHOOL
February 25- End of 2nd Trimester
March 5 - Auction
March 13- March 19- NO SCHOOL- Spring Break
March 30 - Student-led Conferences
April 7- First Communion Parent Meeting at 6:30 pm in church
April 14- Holy Thursday- NO SCHOOL
April 15- Good Friday- NO SCHOOL
April 18- Easter Monday- NO SCHOOL
April 28- 8th Grade Confirmation 7pm
May 1- First Communion- 2nd Grade
May 7- 8th Grade Follies 7pm
May 10- Vocal Concert 7pm
May 11- Band Concert 7pm
May 13- Field Day- NOON DISMISSAL
May 20- 7th Grade Leadership Day and 8th Grade Mystery Day
May 24- 8th Grade Graduation 6:30pm
May 27- Last Day of School- NOON DISMISSAL
Cancer Companion Group
You are invited to join the St. Gabriel the Archangel Cancer Companion Group for our Christmas breakfast and program. This event is open to anyone currently or previously diagnosed with cancer and/or their caregivers.
Please RSVP to the parish nurse, Judy Hunter, firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-353-6303 to attend our event on December 11th at 9am.
Calling All High School Teens of the Parish:
SGYG Calendar of Events
Dec. 15th - Tacky Christmas Sweater Party
~ This will be our Christmas Party and the last meeting of 2021. We will play games, have contests, eat sweet treats, and more! Tacky Christmas attire isn't required, but is part of the fun and one of the contests.
Dec. 22nd & 29th - NO YOUTH NIGHTS ~ Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! ~
Jan. 5th - First Youth Night of 2022!
Connect with SGYG!
Facebook Private Group: St. Gabriel Youth Group (SGYG)
Flocknote: Youth Ministry
If you have ideas for events, service opportunities, fundraising, or are wanting to volunteer, etc. please contact Sarah! email@example.com
Gift cards for the holidays
Purchase gift cards through ShopwithScrip.com for your holiday shopping and gift giving.
Check out this link to the holiday gift guide for gift giving inspiration! ShopWithScrip/GiftGuide
Ways to place an order
- Already have an account? Sign in at shopwithscrip.com or use the RaiseRight app to place and pay for your order.
- Don’t have a ShopWithScrip account yet? Follow the easy steps to get started at shopwithscrip.com/startearninguse Enrollment Code C2238B8617489
- Prefer to place an order without setting up an account? Check out the gift guide along with the retailer list then send me an email with your order - retailer card type, denomination and quantity. Drop your payment at the rectory or send it through school with your student and I’ll take care of the rest.
Order Release Scheduled - We will process online orders twice leading up to the Christmas break.
- Orders placed by Monday, December 13, at 10:00 am will be sent home in your child’s backpack or can be picked at the rectory on Friday, December 17.
For any questions, please contact Margie Uxa @ firstname.lastname@example.org