R15 Equity & Inclusion Newsletter
January 2024: R15 Students, Staff & Families
Honoring the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, January 15 marks Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which was first declared a federal holiday in 1983. Dr. King is honored for his leadership in the fight for civil rights. The "I Have a Dream" speech and his nonviolent approach to activism are widely focused on, and this annual federal holiday marks an opportunity to teach further into his deep work to upend systemic racism, such as in the resources below:
Letter from a Birmingham Jail
In this primary source letter., King promoted an active approach to justice - not one that merely offers sympathy or comfort, or to be neutral on racism.
Source: Martin Luther King, Jr.: August 1963, Photo Source: NY Public Library
The Other America
During a speech called "The Other America" at a Michigan High School in 1968, King shared deep understanding of those fighting for civil rights who did not mirror his nonviolent approach. It was in this speech that he described a riot as "the language of the unheard."
Source: Martin Luther King, Jr.: 1968, Grosse Point Historical Society
Dr. King Said It: I'm Black and I'm Proud!
The Black Is Beautiful Movement was on the rise at the time King made this speech at Glenville High School in April 1967, which includes messages about self-love. As King urged Black people to seek their own liberation, he talked about Blackness and urged them to proclaim “Yes, I’m Black. I’m proud of it. I’m Black and beautiful.”
Source: PBS, The Cleveland Public Library
PreK: Family Theme
Students in our preschool program, Friends Together, engage in teaching and learning through a thematic curricular approach. The first theme this year was family. Please enjoy Mrs. Stango's class sharing of family trees below. The students and teachers also made a class family tree after focusing on the book "Our Class is a Family."
Kindergarten Social Studies
RMS Art: Linear Perspective
How do artists create a sense of 3-D space? RMS artists explored this question with Mrs. Murphy. Students referenced real places, which is reflected in the architectural influences of the pieces featured here, and to consider what gives a community character.
Calendar of Religious Observances: January 2024
- 1/5/24 GURU GOBIND SINGH JI’S BIRTHDAY, Sikh: Guru Gobind Singh was the 10th Sikh guru of Nanak and founder of the Khalsa. India
- 1/6/24 CHRISTMAS, Armenian Orthodox Christian: The day Armenian Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus. Before the Roman empire adopted Christianity, this was the original day all Christians observed the birth of Jesus. Armenia
- 1/6/24 EPIPHANY | THEOPHANY, Christian: Celebrates the manifestation of Jesus as Christ. The Western Church associates Epiphany with the journey of the Magi to the infant Jesus Christ, and the Eastern Orthodox Church associates Theophany with the baptism of Jesus Christ by John.
- 1/7/24 CHRISTMAS, Eastern Christian: Commemorating the birth of Jesus, most Orthodox churches celebrate Christmas 13 days later than other Christian churches based on their use of the Julian rather than the Gregorian version of the Western calendar.
- 1/15/24 MAKAR SANKRANTI, Hindu: Seasonal celebration marking turning of the sun toward the north. Southern Asia
- 1/25/24 MAHAYANA NEW YEAR, Buddhist: In Mahayana countries the New Year starts on the first full moon day in January. (This date varies from region to region.) East Asia: China, Japan, Korea
- 1/25/24 TU B’SHVAT, Jewish: New Year's Day for Trees, and traditionally the first of the year for tithing fruit of trees. Now a day for environmental awareness and action, such as tree planting.
Region 15 Website
Southbury and Middlebury Equity & Inclusion Council Website
Community bulletin board
If you'd like to publicize an opportunity, simply follow the directions on this page.
The importance of listening to your lived experiences, insights, ideas, and perspectives cannot be overstated. Please feel free to reach out! We'd love to connect.
*Note: Quotation (c) 2019 CLC Collective and Dottir Press