Friday, November 3, 2017
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
PD Smore (Please check out some examples of Learning Focused from across the district.) https://www.smore.com/xh7ps
Please be reminded of the district expectation to enter grades in PowerSchool on a weekly basis. Parents, guardians, and student use the Parent/Student Portal to check grades and should be able to see their up-to-date progress. (Dr. Hargrave stressed this during Cabinet.)
From Cabinet - Effective lessons require students to have ample opportunities to read, write, and discuss curriculum, so every lesson should require both content and literacy standards. This means every lesson will have at least two standards, one for content and one for writing. In addition, lessons may have additional literacy standards for reading and possibly standards for speaking and listening or language.
Mark your Calendars - Common Assessment dates for the remainder of the year (November 28-30, 2017, February 13-15, 2018, and April 23-25, 2018).
Teachers will make their own Common Assessments. Please make necessary arrangements to get this completed in a timely manner. They are due to Johnson/Lewis by November 17th.
A student dance will take place after school on Thursday, November 9th. Permission slips will be sent home the first of the week. Submit to Dan Hersey. Students with permission slips will be called last after buses. Please check the student permission list (that will be sent out before) or ensure the student has a permission slip, before allowing them to stay afterschool.
Staff, please be reminded to check the bus list before releasing students in the afternoon. Each day we have a few students that make it out to the buses before their bus is called.
- Slips were put in your boxes this week to distribute to students with outstanding chocolate money. Encourage them to turn in this money. We will meet with students with outstanding fees next week.
- November is Native American Heritage Month. Our statewide celebration will be held in Raleigh on Saturday, November 18 at the NC Museum of History. More information on this FREE event is located at: https://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/aihc-2017. If you are interested in incorporating American Indian history and culture in your lessons this month, please see Ms. Brayboy or Ms. Dorman for resources. We would be glad to help!
- There will be a CTE field trip on Tuesday, November 7th for Mr. Odom's 7th Grade students. Mr. Odom's 7th grade A & B day students need to report to room 201 at the start of electives. Students without signed permission slips and 6th Grade A Day students are to report to their B day electives. Student will be back on campus between 11:30am - 12:00pm.
- Wednesday November 8th - Mr. Odom's 8th Grade Exploring Career Decisions A & B day class will report to the Media center at the start of Electives to learn from a guest speaker from our local Employment Security Commission.
- Shout to the PBIS Committee for being flexible with the schedule and getting information out about the end of year celebration.
- Shout out to Mr. Oswald and Mrs. Gross for hosting a guest speaker in their Science classes this week.
- Shout out to Mrs. Harris for organizing the AR celebration, publishing an amazing school newpaper, and making sure our fall picture make-ups happened.
- Shout out to Mrs. Lewis and Ms. E. Johnson for organizing outstanding planning session for core teachers this week.
- Shout out to the Robotics Club, Mrs. Carter, and Mrs. Griswold for their WPDE feature this week.
The winner of the Bullying Awareness poster contest is Mrs Gore's class. They have won a tech party!
- Please work with your grade level to reschedule Friday's TLC. Let Ms. Brayboy know if adjustments to the purchase price needs to occur in the student store.
- Make sure to read the information sent this week on the end of 9 weeks PBIS celebration.
- Please summit to Mrs. Fehlman/Mrs. Snell names of students (by team) you feel are the neediest to receive Christmas Cheer. In order for us to plan for adoption of the families, we will need the list of names no later than FRIDAY, November 6, 2017. Thank you for your support.
- Veteran Teachers (25+ years on a teacher's license) You should have seen a $385 bonus in your paycheck. If not, contact the finance dept.
- Instructional time missed- Don't miss the opportunity to build a relationship and an opportunity to teach. If a student asks to speak to administration, screen the situation to find out details of the problem, first. There have been a lot of students coming up to the office and once admin speaks with the child, it turns out to be a very simple issue that could have been resolved in the classroom. Example this week: A student reported that another student hit him in line at the bathroom.
We are still collecting United Way Pledge Cards. Let's get 100%! $1 counts as a donation.
- A list of grant opportunities is located: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0F01LHF8bhUEZVcFI1ZV84TVE/view.
November is American Indian Heritage Month
Monday, November 6: End of 9 Weeks PBIS Celebration "Bring Your Own Device" Day
Tuesday, November 7: Election Day; ELA/SS/Science Planning; 6th Grade Field Trip to Raleigh (Eley, Blue, Francis, C. Johnson, Best, Williams teams); Staff Meeting
Wednesday, November 8: Project PINK Meets; Principal Leadership; Discovery Ed Techbook Training (during planning periods); Football @ Sandy Grove; 6th Grade Field Trip to Raleigh (Hasty, Lawson, Henderson, J. Quick team)
Thursday, November 9: Math Planning; AP Leadership; Indian Heritage Program (Afternoon Assembly Schedule); School Dance 345pm - 515pm; Staff Bowling Night 5:30
Friday, November 10: Veterans Day Holiday
Saturday, November 11: Robotics Competition in Greensboro
Monday, November 13: 6th Graders to Visit ROARmart
Tuesday, November 14: 7th Graders to Visit ROARmart; ELA/SS/Science Planning; Cross Country Championship; Staff Meeting (CPI Training with Synan)
Wednesday, November 15: House/Grade Level/MTSS Meeting (as needed); Football Championship; Wacky Wednesday
Thursday, November 16: Math Planning
Friday, November 17: Clubs; United Way Cards Due; Common Assessments Due to Lewis/E. Johnson
Saturday, November 18: North Carolina's American Indian Heritage Month Celebration in Raleigh
Tuesday, November 21: ELA/SS/Science Planning; SIT Meeting
November 22-24: Thanksgiving Holiday
Tuesday, November 28: ELA/SS/Science Planning; All County Band and Arts Showcase; Common Assessments
Wednesday, November 29: MTSS/House Meetings (as needed); Safety Committee Meeting @ 3:45pm; Common Assessments
Thursday, November 30: Math Planning; Common Assessments