EBE Home Connections
May 1, 2022
Weekly Message from Mr. Hanzeli
I want to echo Dr. Rumbaugh's message that it has been a pure joy to have the faces of our fantastic volunteers slowly working their way back into our school life each day. We thank those who have completed all of the application process and look forward to many more joining them in the coming weeks and months. In the meanwhile, there are a few updates I would like to provide you:
Elger Bay Expectations: You may have heard that we are emphasizing student behavior across the school. We call these the Elger Bay Explorer Expectations. With Spring in the air it is our goal is to re-establish and remind students of behavior expectations and routines throughout the school day. We are teaching our students about the Explorer Expectations in the classroom, on the playground, cafeteria, hallway...everywhere. As an initial part of this program, we have implemented the use of "Explorer Bucks" that, when earned, allows students to enjoy selected prizes and sometimes other rewards. Many of the rewards are individual and some are earned for a whole class in order to promote students working together to make and keep Elger Bay a great place for students to learn and grow. For a closer look at the expectations we are teaching and reinforcing, here is a link to the Elger Bay Expectations.
- Grade 5 Human Growth and Development / HIV Instruction: This item is for the families of grade 5 students and is notice of this annual unit of study. We have sent a hard copy letter to each grade 5 family. There are no changes to the content that will be covered this year and there is an opportunity for G5 families to preview the materials in advance of the unit being presented. Here is an electronic copy of that preview night letter for G5 families. In the near future our G5 team will be deciding which days in June they will be providing this instruction.
- Elger Bay Principal Transition: I have had the chance to have a first meeting with Mr. Tim Dickinson as he and I begin to work on how we will navigate his transition into the principalship at Elger Bay. I am trying to honor the fact that he has his own building that is going through this same change, but he is very generously working to set aside time to be here at Elger Bay to begin meeting the staff and students. On May 15 he will be spending the day meeting with individual staff and on May 20 he will be here to spend a 'day with student.'
- Kindergarten Registration Night (REPEATED): Several of you have already taken advantage of registering your 2022-2023 kindergarten student using the ONLINE REGISTRATION (see below). That option is still available. For those who would like an opportunity to come into the schoolhouse and get a bit of hands on guidance in the registration process, on Thursday, May 5, the office team and I will be in the library, 5:00-6:30. We will be ready to help you through the process. NOTE: If you are a friend or neighbor of an incoming Kindergarten student, please let them know about this information as they may not yet be on our weekly newsletter list. THANK YOU!
- Washington Comprehensive Assessment Program (WCAP)(REPEATED), formerly known as Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) is the Washington State assessment program of students given to students in grades three through five. As you will see on the calendar, EBE will begin giving this assessment on Monday, May 2. UPDATED THIS WEEK: Just in case you did not receive it, here is a LINK to the parent letter that was sent home at the beginning of last week to the parents of G3 - G5 students.
2022-2023 KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION
You may register your student ONLINE or dropping by the office for a packet to complete.
REGISTER ONLINE: New Student and Kindergarten Registration for 2022-2023
If you come by the office in person, please bring:
- Registration Forms
- Copy of their birth certificate (or other age verification document, as noted)
- Immunization records.
For enrollment purposes, we accept birth certificates, adoption decrees, baptismal certificates, immunization records, previous school records, or entry in a family tree. Other documents not outlined here may also support age verification.
Students entering kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31, 2022.
Please call us at 360.629.1290 if you have any questions.
I will leave this button here for parents of G3-G5 students who need a quick reminder of the days their child will be testing.
Monday, May 2, 2022
Washington Comprehensive Assessment Program Assessment Begins (grades 3-5)
Monday, May 2, 2022
MAP: Measurement of Academic Progress assessment begins (grades K-5)
Monday, May 2 - Wednesday, May 4
EBE Book Fair (see article for details)
Friday, May 27, 2022
EBE True Compass / Character Strong Virtual Recognition Assembly
Monday, May 30, 2022
Memorial Day, No School
Monday, June 20, 2022
Last Day of School, 11:00 Dismissal
Elger Bay Book Fair, May 2 - May 4
THE ELGER BAY BOOK FAIR IS BACK!!
May 2nd through May 4th
We are excited to welcome back the Scholastic Book Fair! As we ease back into normalcy, the book fair will be slightly scaled back, but just as exciting! Please note:
Parents are welcome to shop the EBE ONLINE BOOK FAIR (click here)
Students will have the opportunity to shop during their library time.
“E Wallet” method of payment will be the only option. Cash will not be accepted this time around. E Wallet set-up link (click here). E Wallet gives you a chance to load a predetermined amount of money for your child to spend, and we only need your child’s name to allow them to pay.
Students only. We look forward to welcoming parents to the book fair next year
“Book Only” fair. Posters and other items may be available next time.
Thank you so much for your patience and understanding as we work through our modified book fair! All proceeds will be used to purchase books for our students to check out from the library.
Mrs. Chaplik, EBE Librarian
Friday Family Message, April 29, 2022 (Repeat)
Thank you to the many volunteers who have returned to our schools! The Stanwood-Camano School District appreciates your efforts to help make our schools great! I captured this photo while visiting Stanwood Elementary, can you see the joy in this photo? If you are interested in volunteering in our schools, please click here for more information and to complete the application process.
Levy outcome and next steps
Thank you to those voters who supported the Stanwood-Camano School District Replacement Capital Projects and Technology Levy. As you know, the levy did not receive the simple majority required for passage.
A double levy failure means the loss of about $2.5 million in annual funding to the district beginning in 2023. As we consider the 2022-23 budget and beyond, we will have to make some difficult decisions about what technology purchases and capital projects the district will be able to do moving forward without levy funds. We will make every effort to keep any budget reductions away from the classroom.
We know our Stanwood-Camano community values its schools, and we will continue to discuss the importance of maintaining and upgrading technology for student learning and facility improvements.
Teacher Appreciation Week, May 2-6
No amount of words can express my appreciation for the work of our educators. Our teaching force has gone above and beyond to ensure our students are well prepared for the future they choose. Our teachers are collaborators, leaders, mentors, motivators, coaches, and relationship-builders. I am grateful for the efforts of our teachers, who show up for kids day in and day out. Please join me in thanking our teachers!
SHS’s Bloom’n Plant Sale is back and in full swing in the new greenhouses at the high school. The plant sale is open on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays 2:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. this week and May 4-7. The sale features beautiful annuals, perennials, vegetable starts, herbs, and baskets, all grown by students in the horticulture and greenhouse production classes.
Kindergarten Registration Underway for 2022-23
Welcome to the Class of 2035! Kindergarten registration is open in the Stanwood-Camano School District for the 2022-23 school year. To register for kindergarten, your student must be 5 years old before September 1, 2022. Please visit your resident school (or online at: www.stanwood.wednet.edu/news/general/new_student_and_kindergarten_registration) to register. For more information, please call Rona Olson, 360-629-1237.
May is Water Safety Month
Our local YMCA will hold its annual Safety Around Water (SAW) program from June 20 to 30. The program teaches children of all ages that water can be fun, not feared if you know how to stay safe in and around water. Knowing how to be safe around water is one of the most important life skills we can teach our children. It gives them confidence and saves lives. SAW is a grant-based swim lesson program offering eight FREE swim lessons, focused on water safety skills, to children in our community who may not otherwise have the opportunity to learn to swim. Please contact the Stanwood-Camano YMCA for more information.
School Board regular meeting Tuesday, May 3
The Board will meet at 1 p.m. next Tuesday, May 3 in the Board Room in the district office. The agenda is posted here.
Deborah Rumbaugh, Ed.D.
EBE Absence Excusal Procedure Options (REPEAT)
It is very important that you excuse your child’s absence(s) within 24 hours of returning to school.
Excusal Method OPTIONS
- Call our office line (360) 629-1290 and leave a message or talk with a secretary. This line will take your calls and voice messages 24/7.
- You will receive a Daily Attendance Email whenever your student is marked with an unexcused absence. Click on the absence form link in the email and fill out the details.
- Send in a written note or email to the office that includes the students full name (first and last), dates of absence(s), and signature. If emailing, please send to both of the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com
- Drop by the office in person and communicate the absence information to one of the secretaries.
- Establish a Stanwood Camano School District Family Access account and go online to excuse each absence.
This button is here if you need to quickly connect to the Elger Bay PTA Facebook Homepage.
SCSD Non Discrimination Statement
The Stanwood-Camano School District does not discriminate in employment, programs, or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX/Affirmative Action Officer and Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Maurene Stanton (firstname.lastname@example.org), or the Section 504/American Disabilities Act Coordinator, Robert Hascall (email@example.com) Stanwood-Camano School District, 26920 Pioneer Hwy, Stanwood, WA 98292. Telephone: (360) 629-1200.
El Distrito Escolar de Stanwood-Camano School District no discrimina en sus programas o actividades por motivos de sexo, raza, credo, religión, color, origen nacional, edad, condición de veterano de guerra o grado militar, orientación sexual, expresión de género o identidad, discapacidad o uso de perro guía entrenado o animal de servicio, y ofrece igualdad de acceso a los Boy Scouts y a otros grupos de jóvenes especificados. El empleado mencionado a continuación ha sido designado para atender consultas y quejas de supuesta discriminación: Título IX / Oficial de Acción Afirmativa y Coordinador de Cumplimiento de Derechos Civiles, Maurene Stanton (firstname.lastname@example.org), o la Sección 504 / Coordinador de la Ley de Discapacidades Estadounidenses, Robert Hascall (email@example.com), Distrito Escolar Stanwood-Camano, 26920 Pioneer Hwy, Stanwood, WA 98292. Teléfono: (360) 629- 1200.