Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of May 16 - 20
A Note from Mrs. Gleason
Our performance of Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears will be presented on Thursday, May 19, 2016 in the cafeteria after the 6:30pm PTA meeting.
The performance will last approximately thirty minutes.
As part of the students’ costumes, each child has been asked to wear all black. Your child should wear a long-sleeved or short-sleeved black shirt and black pants or a long black skirt.
If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Gleason – email@example.com.
Middle School News!
iPads at School and Ready To Go
Classroom Supply Needs - UPDATE!
We are at a time of year where student supplies are starting to run low. We would greatly appreciate it (if you are able to) if you could send any of the below items to school with your child. Thank you so much for your continuing support!
- hand sanitizer
- cleaning wipes, such as clorox or generic brand.
- EARBUDS! Because we use technology throughout the day, it is important for each student to have their own set of earbuds. They do not need to be expensive, they even have the at the Dollar Tree for $1 per pair. We do not have earphones for them and they are unable to share with their friends.
Important Dates to Remember!
Thursday, May 19 - Growth and Development (Girls with Nurse Vicki and Boys with Coach Parker)
Friday, May 20 - Field Day
Monday, May 30 - School Holiday
Tuesday, May 31 - 5th Grade Field Trip
Wednesday, June 1 - End of Year Celebration @ 8:45 am
Thursday, June 2 - Balloon Release in the front of the school @ 12:15 pm
Thursday, June 2 - Last Day of School
What We Are Learning this Week:
- As part of our "Step Up to Grade 6" unit, we will continue learning about integers on Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week will be spent working on coordinate graphing using all four quadrants.
- During our unit over Media Literacy, students will analyze various forms of media and how their messages are conveyed differently, will learn about different techniques used in advertising, and will consider the differences in techniques across the various forms of media.
- Students will be creating an advertisement for a product of their invention using at least two advertising techniques.
- We are reviewing the 5th grade science curriculum. We are doing lots of fun and engaging games and activities to reteach and review.
- We will begin a unit over the Constitution and then the Bill of Rights.
- The questions we will use for our focus are, "What are the key features of the US Constitution?," and "What are the basic rights and freedoms of the American people?"
Indian Creek PTA!
Resources to Use:
Math:Access the math textbooks online by first going to www.lisd.net.
Go to the "Resources" tab and click on "for Students."
Once there, click on "Digital Resources."
On the right side of the page is a button that says "Pearson Realize."
The log-in is the same as your student's district log-in.
The Social Studies Alive curriculum is entirely online. Here is how your student can access the information from home:
website: www.teachtci.com (and select 'student')
username: last name, 1st initial
password: ID # (numbers only)
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES