Mental health and National Health Priority area
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental disorder.
- mental illnesses are the third leading cause of disability burden in Australia
- only 35% of people with a mental disorder had used a health service during the survey period
- long term and acute stress
- use of alcohol, drugs and other substances
- social factors such as isolation, financial problems, family breakdown and violence
Treatment and prevention
- A doctor should be the first place you visit when you become unwell with a mental illness.
- medications are helpful for people more severely affected by mental illness- exercise regularly
- eat healthy meals
- get enough sleep
Local support agencies
Anxiety Disorders Association of Victoria
Health promotion strategies
- Programs delivered by Beyond Blue such as youthbeyondblue
Youthbeyondblue aims to empower young people, their friends and those who care for them to respond to depression and anxiety. Youthbeyondblue.com provides information on anxiety and depression, where to get help, personal stories and links to services. It also provides information for friends, family and people who work with young people on how they can help someone with anxiety and depression.