Room 114 Homeroom News
January 19-22, 2016
Ms. Kirkwood & Mrs. Piccirilli Homeroom Calendar & Events
We hope everyone enjoyed their Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Last week we were jazzed as ROMS students and teachers introduced our kids to the available instruments in middle school. Look for upcoming ROMS 5th grade events both in our newsletters and in flyers that are sent home.
- Thursday Jan. 21st- ROMS 5th Grade Night, Basketball and Popcorn. (Flyers went home last Friday.)
- Thursday Jan. 27th, January Reading Calendars are Due (Students should be logging their daily 30 min. of at home reading. Please ask your child if he or she is keeping up with his or her reading calendar.)
- Thursday Jan. 28th ends the second marking period
- Friday Jan. 29th, Record's Day, No school for students
Reading - Historical Fiction, "The Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963"
To prepare for reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963, we made a timeline of Civil Rights Movement events from the 1950s-1960s. We then discussed and wrote about photos we observed from the era and worked on vocab. through a Martin Luther King Jr. word scramble. We will discuss "Watsons" in a book club format. Students will be responsible for doing activities for chapters after they read.
Please discuss making reading 30 min. a part of your child's daily homework routine so that their January Reading Calendar is complete and turned in by Jan. 27th.
Writing- Completing Informational Books
Informational books will be due Friday, January 21st. Students have all begun creating their final copy on Google Slides. All students have a rubric (guideline sheet of requirements) for this informational book. This rubric will be used to grade their assignment. Students have been working so hard on their writing and we are looking forward to sharing their final project!
- Daily Language Review (DLR) if it is not completed in class - Assigned Monday-Friday
- Reading Activities from "Watson's" check planners for Homework/Classwork (HW/CW) assignments
- 3 Spelling Activities due each Monday (Tuesday of this week)
- Study for the spelling test- given each Monday (Tuesday of this week)
- Math- given Monday-Thursdays
- Reading Calendars - Students log 30 min. of reading per day (Due Thurs. Jan. 27th)