DMS Bands Weekly News
October 13, 2019
HAPPY FALL, Y'ALL!
Don't forget the NEW start time and dismissal time at DMS! This does NOT change morning band room times or after school practice times.
Schedule: Week 2 - E D C B A
Tuesday: Guard/Percussion Basics - 3:30-5:30
Thursday: Guard/Percussion Basics - 3:30-5:30
Thursday: Booster Meeting - DMS Band Room
We hope you had a relaxing Fall Break and are refreshed and ready to get back to the grind!
Check out info below about VOLUNTEERING for the Halloween Dance and our Cobwebs and Cocoa event!!!!!!!! Also - spring trip registration is out!! Yay!!!!
Announcements for All
- Don't forget the time change! Drop-off time and morning band room times will remain the same. School will start at 8:15 and dismiss at 3:20.
- Sheet orders have been placed. We will host "Round 2" of sheet sales around November.
- HALLOWEEN DANCE is in two weeks! 10/24/19 (Get your costumes ready!)
- Buy dance tickets in the cafeteria during lunch the week of the dance, or in the front office. Presale tickets are $7.
- COBWEBS & COCOA is on 10/29! Come see our CONCERT BAND perform in the Cafeteria after a quick PTA meeting!!! It's a win-win. Tons of fun.
- Uniform time is COMING!! Students will need to get uniforms for our performances. Con/Sym have specific outlined uniforms, order forms go out soon. Cadet students need to acquire black and white uniform parts on their own. Check out our "digital used uniform sale" here: https://www.smore.com/7sguq. Link also included below.
SPRING TRIP INFO IS OUT!
Reminder: concert and symphonic band students are the only ones eligible for this trip.
Visit this newsletter for info - and fill out the google form to hold your spot!
HERE (Below) IS THE TRIP NEWSLETTER/GOOGLE FORM:
Looking for used uniform pieces? Check here:
Used Uniform pieces, Instruments for sale, etc. If you have anything to add, please email us at email@example.com with pictures and descriptions!
All beginner band students should have a BLACK BINDER for class. They can bring in $1 and get one from us if they need to.
As we embark on the second nine weeks, please remember that we are all getting used to band being part of our schedule and our routine! We understand that it's a new skill to develop and sometimes hard to fit into a daily or weekly schedule. Continue to build a practice routine with your student.
Practice routine suggestions:
- A room with no distractions/people
- Around 20-30 minutes at a time, then break -- try for at least 3 days a week!
- Use band book to play from, not just familiar tunes
- Have students perform for parents and family members
- Do some of the writing examples throughout and rhythm lines from the back of the book
- Use a metronome! Free apps are great.
- Use a TUNER! Our favorite is "Tonal Energy" - but there are some free ones, too.
- HAVE FUN!
Sign up genius for the dance!!!!!
Uniform order forms coming soon. Check out our used uniform newsletter above and see if you can find something. Email us when you've purchased the item so we can take it down!
For those looking into honor bands, we will work harder to get this information included in this newsletter! If you're keeping up with honor bands and application deadlines, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any dates coming up that we need to include. For those looking at UAB middle school honor band, please note that if your student is in DMS Symphonic Band he/she cannot attend UAB HB -- its the same weekend as our UA honor band commitments.
Thank you to those who are considering volunteering to help our band program!! We depend on our amazing parent volunteers - and we have fun, too!
Halloween DANCE is coming up!
Hosted by DMS Bands in conjunction with our amazing DMS PTA! PLEASE help us out - this is such a FUN event. After one night we have provided a REALLY fun event for our students and made some good money for some very deserving programs!
10/24/19 in DMS Gym
Tickets $7 presale or $10 at the door
+ Concessions and Haunted Hallway
CHECK OUT THE SIGN UP GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Volunteers to DONATE concessions! Sign up genius is BELOW.
Volunteers to SCARE children in haunted hallway! Woo!
Volunteers to monitor and chaperone the dance
Do we have any friends in CONSTRUCTION reading this??? Looking for some of this tarp stuff for the HAUNTED HALLWAY for the dance!! Its going to be a blast! ----
- Wanted: One roll of heavy-duty black plastic sheeting, the kind contractors use for construction or landscaping. At least 10 foot x 100 foot. (Example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/BARRICADE-10-ft-x-100-ft-Black-6-mil-Plastic-Sheeting/1000158147)
Band Room Supply Wish List
We like bribing your children (in the best way)!
-regular computer paper!
-colored computer paper!
-film for Instax instant polaroid camera
-All chaperones must pass the Secure Volunteer background screen and have a Secure Volunteer ID card. https://bib.com/secureVolunteer/Madison-City-Schools/
Please email email@example.com your receipt for our records! We need to send your name for approval as soon as you apply.
Thank you for your time and dedication!!