BRIARWOOD ELEMENTARY pta newsletter
September 20, 2022 www.briarwoodpta.org
MESSAGE FROM PRINCIPAL LASH
Briarwood/Tomahawk Boundary Work Group Update
The Briarwood/Tomahawk Boundary Process Work Group met again on September 15 and continued reviewing and refining boundary concepts. An update on the work group’s progress was presented at last night's Board of Education meeting (September 19). The first of two public input sessions is scheduled for October 4 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the cafeteria at Briarwood Elementary School. For more information about the workgroup, click on the link below.
Safe Walking Routes /Crossing Guards
- Students, parents, and family members should cross at the designated crosswalks. We have two designated crosswalks and there is a staff member that helps cross walkers at the entrance to the car drop-off and pick-up lane.
- Crossing Guard on Nall between 85th Terr. & 86th St.
- ALL students and patrons who need to cross Nall to get to the West side should use the cross walk with the crossing guard. This is the safest way for all pedestrians.
- Students or patrons should NEVER cross in the middle of Nall unless at a light. As you head southbound on Nall from Briarwood there is an incline and difficult to see oncoming traffic and it is extremely dangerous for students or patrons to cross.
- Crossing Guard on 86th
- ALL students who need to cross to 86th St. in front of the school to get to the south side must cross at the crossing guard.
- Students or patrons should NEVER cross in the middle of the street.
- 87th and Woodson
- Students who cross at 87th and Woodson should stay along the south side of 87th Street and then use the signal at Nall to get to the crossing guard near 86th Street.
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES @ BRIARWOOD
Sunday, September 25, 2:00-3:30 pm
Fall Garden Workday at BW - Sign Up Here
Thursday, September 29
Saturday, October 1
Saturday, October 1
Kindergarten - Grade Level Party (Adults-only event) - RSVP/Details
Monday, October 3
Buffalo State Pizza - Dining Partner
Saturday, October 8
4th Grade - Grade Level Party (Adults-only event) - RSVP/Details
Friday, October 14 & 21
Tuesday, November 8
Picture Retake Day
Full BW PTA Calendar is available here
Come Join the Fun at the Briarwood Bulldog Jog on Saturday, October 1!
Bulldog Jog is a fun, free-to-attend fun run for the entire Briarwood community. Participants will run/walk through the beautiful surrounding neighborhoods and around Franklin Park. The event will start & finish at Briarwood Elementary School. (Racecourse will hug the north side of 86th Street.) NOTE: No pets, bikes or scooters.
7:30 AM Bulldog Jog Check In
7:45 AM Opening Ceremonies
8:00 AM Fun Run starts!
This event is FREE to attend!
Parking is limited in the Briarwood Parking Lot. Please use street parking on Linden and Briar and on West Side of the school. *The class with the highest participation wins a prize!
Event Contact: Brian Hughes – email@example.com
PTA REFLECTIONS CONTEST
PTA Reflections is a nationally acclaimed student recognition program to encourage artistic creativity in the classroom and at home. Students of all grades and abilities may participate and explore the arts based on the current year's theme. The theme for 2022-2023 is "Show Your Voice!"
Entries are due on October 14! Entry Forms can be found online -- HERE.
CATEGORIES FOR ENTRY:
- Dance Choreography
- Music Composition
- Film Production
- Visual Arts
JOIN THE BRIARWOOD PTA TODAY!
Briarwood’s PTA (Parent Teacher Association) works to support every student and teacher at school. The PTA provides additional extra activities, programs, and financial assistance not covered by the Shawnee Mission School District.
Joining the PTA is easy! Once you have updated/created your profile, purchase your PTA membership in the online Store. Individual memberships are $12 and Joint memberships are $24. Briarwood PTA works to support every student and teacher in our building and our goal is to have 100% participation from our families/caregivers and teachers. PTA memberships are also a fundraiser for Briarwood PTA. PTA members receive exclusive access to the online directory.
To join PTA and pay online now, please visit our PTA website at: briarwoodpta.org/join_pta
NOW AVAILABLE: SMORE TRANSLATION
- On the right side of the newsletter, a bar will appear with the Translation feature.
- Click on the Translation bar then click on the Select Language button.
- Choose your language of choice from the drop-down menu of languages and click close. The newsletter will now be translated.
En el lado derecho de la pagina, aparecerá una barra con la función de traducción. Haga clic en la barra de traducción y luego haga clic en el botón Seleccionar idioma. Elija español en el menú desplegable de idiomas y haga clic en cerrar. El boletín ahora se traducirá.
CREATE/UPDATE YOUR ONLINE DIRECTORY PROFILE
Get started today by visiting https://www.briarwoodpta.org, select “Directory”
- Update or create an account through Membership Toolkit. Once you update/create your account, you can decide what information is shared in the online directory, which is ONLY accessible to other BW registrants.
- Our directory will only be as useful as YOU make it. Please register to help us build a stronger community network for parents/caregivers and students.
- Download the Membership Toolkit app from the App Store or Google Play for on-the-go access.
Questions? Contact Karen Moore: firstname.lastname@example.org
MAKERSPACE - DONATIONS WANTED
We have some big plans for our students in the Makerspace this year! Ms. Martens would LOVE to get some donations to beef up our stash. Listed below are some items we will need for future projects. If you are able to donate, please send items to the office or with your student on library day! Thank you for all your help!!
- Toilet paper/paper towel rolls
- Bottle glue & glue sticks
- Duct tape - solid colors
- Crayon boxes - any size
- Colored pencils
- Washable markers - any size
VOLUNTEER CROSSING GUARDS NEEDED
CROSSING GUARDS STILL NEEDED :) Please help us keep our students safe by volunteering to serve as a crossing guard at 86th and Juniper.
- Remind children to walk themselves and/or their bikes/scooters across the crosswalk.
- Help direct the before/after-school traffic and remind drivers that cars are not permitted to turn left off of 86th Street.
- Crosswalk volunteer shifts are 7:50-8:10am and 3:05-3:20pm (12:25pm-12:40pm on half days).
GRADE LEVEL PARTIES
Briarwood's Grade Level Parties are fun events for all of the grown-ups in each grade to get to know each other – and to raise $ for PTA. Parent volunteers plan, pay for, and host each party. While there is no fee to attend, donations are encouraged to fundraise for the PTA general fund, which supports many programs at our school. Food and drinks will be provided. Click here for more info.
Contact: Erin Winters, email@example.com OR
Michelle Le Roux, firstname.lastname@example.org
A SPACE FOR EVERY BULLDOG - DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION AT BRIARWOOD
September Celebrations & Recognitions
• Rosh Hashanah – Sept. 26th -27th
• World Day of the Deaf – Sept. 26th
• Hispanic Latino Heritage Month Continues
Rosh Hashanah is the beginning of the Jewish New Year and first of the High Holy Days, which marks the beginning of a ten-day period of penitence and spiritual renewal.
Links for Learning
Briarwood’s social worker, Cassie Horn is available to provide support to all families
- Help students/families with anxiety, depression, suicide prevention, peer relationships and other family/school dynamics
- Help create behavior support plans with students/families/teachers
- Assist teachers with social emotional teaching and trauma informed approaches in their classroom
- Individual and group counseling within school setting
- Provide resources to parents struggling with emotional/behavioral issues at home
- Connect families to resources, such as our community partner Hillcrest Covenant Church. Resources include groceries, housing, clothing etc.
Please contact Mrs. Horn with any questions or concerns:
SMAC CLOTHING EXCHANGE
Shawnee Mission Area Council PTA (SMAC) Clothing Exchange
The Clothing Exchange offers gently used clothing and shoes to those within the SMSD boundaries. All items are clean. Donations are made possible by SMSD residents. All residents are welcome.
Earn Money for Briarwood while you shop on Amazon!
Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7152153 and designate Briarwood as your charitable organization. Briarwood will earn .5% from most purchases.
Bookmark the website to use each time you shop! https://smile.amazon.com All of your account information will remain the same, but you’ll be raising money for Briarwood
2022-23 PTA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Mary Boomer • email@example.com
Deana Curtin • firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley Hunt • email@example.com
Rachel Wymore • firstname.lastname@example.org
Terra Snyder • email@example.com
VP Community Events:
Kristin McClasky • Kdp1202@gmail.com
VP Student Services:
Susan Jarrold • firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Becker • email@example.com
Denise Wheeler • firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Wiens email@example.com
Diana Beckman • firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy Hill • Wendyhill329@gmail.com
Diversity & Inclusion Chair:
Jessica Bryon • email@example.com
Briarwood Elementary Bulldogs - all school Facebook page
FACEBOOK Groups are a great way to find out what is going on in your grade level community. Join your group to find out details on sports teams, scouts, and play dates happening throughout the year.
Grade-level Facebook groups (private):
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2029 (6th grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2030 (5th grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2031 (4rd grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2032 (3nd grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2033 (2st grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2034 (1st Grade)
Briarwood Elementary Class of 2035 (K)