The Friday Forecast
THE WEEK OF September 26-30, 2022
Colonel Tucker "Cinco" Hamilton Speaks To WHS Students on Future of Aviation and Robotics
On Thursday, September 22, Colonel Tucker "Cinco" Hamilton spoke in front of 200 parents, students, and community members on the future of aviation and robotics. Hamilton is an Experimental Fighter Test Pilot for the United States Air Force and also the Director of the F-35 Integrated Test Force. He was a lead test pilot on 11 test programs, supporting the newest software, systems, and artificial intelligence.
Colonel Hamilton spoke to the crowd about the need for future engineers, coding, artificial intelligence, and where aviation is headed in the future. He emphasized the importance of STEM in education and the available career opportunities for our students.
The event was hosted by our VolTech Robotics Team. A special thanks to our Math teacher and Robotics Advisor, Yousuf Marvii, for connecting with Colonel Hamilton and setting up this great opportunity for our students!
IMPORTANT EVENTS SEPTEMBER 26-30, 2022
MONDAY - SEPTEMBER 26
- *Periods 1-6 Regular Schedule - 8:30 am- 3:25pm
TUESDAY - SEPTEMBER 27
- Kindness Week: Sweet Treat at the ASB Stage During Lunch
- *Periods 3-4 & 5-6 Tutorial Schedule - 8:30 am-3:25 pm
- AP student presentation during TUTORIAL in the PAC: 9th and 11th grades
- Financial Aid Night- 6-8pm @ PAC
WEDNESDAY - SEPTEMBER 28
- Kindness Week: Friendship Bracelets During Lunch
- *Periods 1-4 Collaboration Schedule - 8:30 am-2:40 pm
- WASC Meeting - Front Office Closed from 2:45pm-4:00pm
THURSDAY - SEPTEMBER 29
- Kindness Week: Thankful Clothespins
- *Periods 1-2 & 5-6 Tutorial Schedule - 8:30 am-3:25 pm
- AP student presentation during TUTORIAL in the PAC:10th and 12th grades
FRIDAY - SEPTEMBER 30
- Kindness Week: Flower Friday
- *Periods 1-6 Regular Schedule - 8:30 am- 3:25pm
- Picture Make - Up Day (9th-11th)
- Senior Quotes and Senior Portraits Deadline
SATURDAY- OCTOBER 1
- WVUSD Parent Symposium - Walnut High School from 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
WALNUT HIGH SCHOOL BELL SCHEDULE
News and Announcements
Record Breaking Numbers at Homecoming Dance!
Congrats to our Homecoming King & Queen: Sal Quintanilla & Jasmyn Stampley! Thank you for a great night Mustangs! Watch the video below for a quick recap!
Don't miss out on tickets for Cabaret Night!
WHS Student Board Representative
Introducing our 2022-2023 student representative, Kaleb Dy! Kaleb will represent Walnut High School at every board meeting this year to update the district on everything happening at our school.
WVUSD Parent Symposium: Oct. 1
Dear WVUSD Parents,
Walnut Valley USD is excited to host this year’s Parent Symposium on Saturday, October 1 at Walnut High School from 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
The keynote speaker is Dr. Nancy Frey, co-author of “All Learning Is Social and Emotional” and “Your Students, My Students, Our Students”.
After the keynote, parents will have the opportunity to attend two different break-out sessions.
Child care will be available for children ages 4-12. Please pre-register for child care at: https://bit.ly/3BlNLa3.
ECGA Starting Recycle Drive This School Year!
Financial Aid Night for our Juniors & Seniors!
Girls water polo tryouts
Save The Date for our Chuckwagon Event!
Scholastic Art and Writing Awards
WHS Boys Basketball Fall Showcase
September is Suicide Prevention Month
IMPORTANT 2022-2023 AP EXAM DATES & REMINDERS
Below are important dates as we prepare for AP Exams this year.
- NEW TO AP? Please create a student AP account: https://myap.collegeboard.org/login
- Make sure to add your AP teacher's join code.
- Make sure you are in your teacher's AP Classroom.
- AP student presentation during TUTORIAL in the PAC: 9th and 11th grades- September 27th and 10th and 12th grades- September 29th
- AP Exam Payment and Registration October 24th-28th.
- Students will be invited by last name (alpha order)
- More info to come!
- AP EXAM PAYMENT DEADLINE WITH NO PENALTY FEE IS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 10th.
- Any exam ordered after will accrue a $40 late fee + $100.
Make Up Picture Day - September 30
Senior Portraits and Senior Quotes
Isolation Instructions for Students with COVID-19
CELEBRATE YOUR CHILD'S BIRTHDAY ON OUR MARQUEE!
BIRTHDAY MARQUEE is now available! If you have a student that has a birthday coming up, be sure to make a birthday dedication on the WHS marquee! All proceeds goes to support WHS students and staff so RESERVE YOURS TODAY!
Great idea for WHS staff, teachers and Alums too!
SCHOOL LUNCH POLICY
Due to many problems and safety issues we DO NOT allow student lunches to be delivered anywhere on campus.
Food, drinks or other items are NOT to be passed to students through the fence. This is strictly prohibited.
Outside Food Delivery Services such as UBER Eats/Door Dash is strictly prohibited. Food will be confiscated if deliveries are dropped off.
We understand the importance of student nutrition but we encourage students to either use the free lunch at school or bring their lunch from home.
9th GRADE (Class of 2026)
Corolar Schultz (A - LIM) firstname.lastname@example.org
Morgan Galeener (LIN-Z) email@example.com
10th GRADE (Class of 2025)
Wil Lares (A – LO) firstname.lastname@example.org
Sonia Nunez (LU – Z) email@example.com
11th GRADE (Class of 2024)
Nathan Newman (A – LI) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenny Alegre (LO – Z) email@example.com
12th GRADE (Class of 2023)
Jennifer Tucker (A – LI) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Jacks (LO – Z) email@example.com
ADP (Academic Design Program)
Viviana Hoyos firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Peiten jLPeiten@wvusd.org
2023 Milken Scholars Program
Seniors! Be A Coca-Cola Scholar!
Class of 2026 Personality and Strengths Assessment
If you are interested in taking this exam, there are two dates when it can be taken:
- For Mrs. Schultz’s students (A-Lim): Thursday, September 22nd in the MPR.
- For Mr. Galeener’s students (Lin-Z): Thursday, September 29th in the MPR.
We hope to see you there!
Freshmen Roadmap: 8 Habits of Highly Successful Students
Mt. SAC Cash for College Workshop
Mt. SAC's Annual Cash for College Financial Aid event is quickly approaching! They invite graduating seniors and their parents to join on Saturday, October 22, 2022. This is an IN PERSON EVENT and is FREE and open to students that plan on attending any college or university in 2023. Register Today! Go to: https://www.mtsac.edu/financialaid/cashfair.html
Welcome Class of 2026!
STUDENT CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS
Please remember that attendance counts, every period, every day. Students will be marked absent if they are not at the beginning of each period to verify their attendance.
All single-period absences will need to be reconciled through the attendance office by the student. If marked absent, students will receive an email from the attendance office notifying them that they have been marked absent. The notification will include the date and period of the absence. The student will need to contact the Attendance Department to make any necessary corrections to their individual period attendance. For full-day absences, a parent/guardian must contact the attendance office by the end of the day.
Attendance Reporting Hotline:
11 & 12 Grades: 909- 444-3642
9 & 10 Grades : 909 - 444-3625