Unit 3: Standard Form
What is standard form?
- Standard form is y=ax^2+bx+c
- Value of c is the y-intercept
- Value of a gives the shape and direction of opening in the parabola
- solve using the quadratic formula
- Complete square to get vortex form
Completing the square
Remember this equation - Ax^2 + bx + c
Step 1. Gather all the X terms on the left side and numbers on the right side.
Step 2. Divide all terms by the coefficient of x^2. EX. If the equation has 3x^2 then you must divide each term by 3.
Step 3. Complete the square. add values o each side to balance the equation
step 4. Write as binomial squared. (x + b/2^2)
step 5. Take The square root of both sides and solve for x.