Will My Students Fail?
How Will I Know?
Requirements To Pass Middle School:
Students must pass 3 of the 4 core classes in order to move to the next grade.
· Failure of one required course – Summer school is recommended.
· Failure of two required courses – Mandatory summer school with a final grade of 70 or above in at least one of the failed courses. Should the student not attend summer school, he/she will be retained.
· Failure of three required courses – Mandatory summer school with a final grade of 70 or above in two out of the three courses. If the student does not attend summer school, he/she will be retained.
What We're doing... what teachers need to do...
Teachers and Counselors...
- Throughout the year, parents of students that are struggling have been contacted by the teacher to let them know of their child's educational status.
- The Counselors have kept a spreadsheet of all students that have failed a course during the year that has a formula that calculates how the students are doing academically. Each 6 weeks the spreadsheet is updated. If you would like a copy of the formula, let me know and I'll send it out to you.
- The Counselors have met with failing students every marking period for academic counseling. Students that have struggled more than others have met more frequently with the counselors.
- Continue to work with the student in tutorials to see if grades can be pulled up.